Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: Am I being hacked? I really think so.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: Am i being hacked ?? i really think so, please help ! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Turning off wifi on your own machine is not what I meant.

    You need to log in to your router and switch it off there so that no-one can use or abuse your network.
    I log into mine using Firefox, the address is http://192.168.2.1/ but yours may be different.

    You will need to know the router's password and if you are worried then it would be best to change it.
    Make the new password at least 15 characters long and make a note of it somewhere.

    When logged in check your router's firewall status, make sure that it is set to maximum.
    Read the instructions that came with your router or Google for it.
    i think i had already done that, and made the password quite difficult using letters numbers big letters etc, but i guess ill try it again, took a break from my PC yesterday because i was really annoyed seeing the gmail security report. thanks again.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    10

    Re: Am i being hacked ?? i really think so, please help ! :)

    First things first buddie... firestarter??? - bad choice!
    Secondly... your online accounts yes are possibly hacked {I have had my share of that on UBUNTU as well}
    Ubuntu 12.10??? - buggie... very buggie.... 12.04.2 better for you to go on that one {12.10 is being fixed now on 13.04daily build}
    Finally... by default UBUNTU firewall in the UFW is designed to give a false sense of security {YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY BUILD YOUR FIREWALL}
    The default firewall allows every connection you have initiated back into your computer including everything in its path to your chosen destination
    This is where you have to filter out {UFW is using a filter table} what you dont want to get into your computer {requires knowledge of the internet}
    Last edited by conquerorodueko; March 15th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Am i being hacked ?? i really think so, please help ! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by conquerorodueko View Post
    First things first buddie... firestarter??? - bad choice!
    First things first, I didn't think firestarter was even in the Ubuntu repositories anymore, as it hasn't been maintained in a long while and conflicts with ufw/gufw. Uninstall it and start using ufw or guf.

    Quote Originally Posted by conquerorodueko View Post
    Secondly... your online accounts yes are possibly hacked {I have had my share of that on UBUNTU as well}
    This is possible, and it is usually a good idea to change all your passwords if you suspect one service is compromised. This applies to any service, but especially email because it is likely tied to your other accounts - Bank, Paypal, Online Stores, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by conquerorodueko View Post
    Ubuntu 12.10??? - buggie... very buggie.... 12.04.2 better for you to go on that one {12.10 is being fixed now on 13.04daily build}
    Plenty of people are using 12.10 without any problems. All software has bugs and each user's environment is different.

    Quote Originally Posted by conquerorodueko View Post
    Finally... by default UBUNTU firewall in the UFW is designed to give a false sense of security {YOU HAVE TO MANUALLY BUILD YOUR FIREWALL}
    The default firewall allows every connection you have initiated back into your computer including everything in its path to your chosen destination
    This is where you have to filter out {UFW is using a filter table} what you dont want to get into your computer {requires knowledge of the internet}
    The only thing you need to do with ufw is enable it and the default configuration (incoming connections blocked, outgoing connections allowed) is suitable for most users.

    Unless you are super paranoid about something on your PC making an outgoing connection, the default rules are fine.

    Ubuntu still ships with "no open ports" by default, which means there is no remote access software installed by default, so the user would have had to either visited a compromised website (unlikely) or downloaded random stuff off the internet if their PC is being accessed without their knowledge.

    @OP: If you want to confirm this is not the case, you would have to run this:

    Code:
    netstat -nlp
    Check out the basic security guide I have linked in my signature for more info.
    Last edited by CharlesA; March 15th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Beans
    10

    Re: Am i being hacked ?? i really think so, please help ! :)

    I do agree with CharlesA that: {All software has bugs and each user's environment is different.}
    But i cannot say i entirely agree with this: {Unless you are super paranoid about something on your PC making an outgoing connection, the default rules are fine.}
    But taking CharlesA's statement as the only condition, is it not - The more reason why it is difficult to ascertain the security level of the network used?
    If i might ask, how would the "something" on his PC with 15 clean installations get into the PC again and again and again for 15 times????
    By the way, with regards to CharlesA's comment: {All software has bugs and each user's environment is different.}
    I would like to refer CharlesA back to the complaint: {because suddenly and as always my password changed itself when the 12.10 version was installed}

    Mind you: If CharlesA is correct that it [BLOCKS ALL IN] AND [ALLOWS ALL OUT], then when you are chatting on the internet, you send a message to who you are chatting with but the person's message back to you would not come back for you to see because the firewall will block it from getting back to you. It would also mean that every website you visit is actually locally on your computer which would mean you are not truly on the internet.

    THE BLOCK ALL IN really blocks any connection that YOU HAVE NOT INITIATED. [If you dont say "hello", the other end will be blocked from saying "hello" back to you]
    But once you say "Hello", then the person replies back with "Hello", however, the default means that anyone around at the time you say "Hello" is also permitted to say "Hello" back to you. [Makes sense???]

    ALL THIS POINTS OUT THAT UBUNTU IS STILL VERY BUGGY AND NEEDS SOME SECURITY WORK.
    Last edited by conquerorodueko; March 15th, 2013 at 06:25 PM.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    8,753
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Am i being hacked ?? i really think so, please help ! :)

    Nothing the OP posted suggests there was "something" on his PC of a malevolent nature. If you see something to the contrary, point it out.

    I don't use firewalls on machines behind firewalls. I have no problem avoiding any sort of security compromise.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

    Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    1,374
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

    Re: Am i being hacked ?? i really think so, please help ! :)

    Mind you: If CharlesA is correct that it [BLOCKS ALL IN] AND [ALLOWS ALL OUT], then when you are chatting on the internet, you send a message to who you are chatting with but the person's message back to you would not come back for you to see because the firewall will block it from getting back to you. It would also mean that every website you visit is actually locally on your computer which would mean you are not truly on the internet.
    No way, default ufw policy is yhe above policy: sudo ufw enable. This doesn't lock you out of the internet.
    block all outbound traffic does. Except if you have outbound rules, which I have. For the xchat/chat example: freenode, allow port 7000/7070 for freenode via SSL cq SASL

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Beans
    1,531

    Re: Am i being hacked ?? i really think so, please help ! :)

    Quote Originally Posted by conquerorodueko View Post
    Mind you: If CharlesA is correct that it [BLOCKS ALL IN] AND [ALLOWS ALL OUT], then when you are chatting on the internet, you send a message to who you are chatting with but the person's message back to you would not come back for you to see because the firewall will block it from getting back to you. It would also mean that every website you visit is actually locally on your computer which would mean you are not truly on the internet.

    THE BLOCK ALL IN really blocks any connection that YOU HAVE NOT INITIATED. [If you dont say "hello", the other end will be blocked from saying "hello" back to you]
    But once you say "Hello", then the person replies back with "Hello", however, the default means that anyone around at the time you say "Hello" is also permitted to say "Hello" back to you. [Makes sense???]

    ALL THIS POINTS OUT THAT UBUNTU IS STILL VERY BUGGY AND NEEDS SOME SECURITY WORK.
    What? No. The default ufw rules will deny all incoming except for those specifically related to traffic you initiated.

    Let's not argue facts, though...
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...l#contenttoc10

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    919
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Am I being hacked? I really think so.

    If you're getting reports of a mail account being accessed from another browser on another system that isn't yours, then it's the account that has been compromised, not the computer. Usually this occurs due to weak passwords and/or password re-use. You can implement firewall changes all day long and it won't solve that problem.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    8,753
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Am I being hacked? I really think so.

    Some free mail services like Yahoo's are so vulnerable you can watch tutorial videos at YouTube that show you how to hijack an account.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

    Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Am I being hacked? I really think so.

    Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Some free mail services like Yahoo's are so vulnerable you can watch tutorial videos at YouTube that show you how to hijack an account.
    Indeed. This is also why two factor authentication is quite handy.

    I know Gmail offers it, but I am not sure about yahoo as I hardly use their email services.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

    Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •