Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have the wireless driver file on usb but need to know how to install it

Beans

I have the wireless driver file on usb but need to know how to install it

Hey !
    I am a complete beginner!

I need help, I have installed the required wireless realtek driver from the website onto a USB.
    I now have the file onto my laptop (which has no internet acces at all)

So i need to know how you install the wireless driver file while its on the desktop, is there a command or something that you have to write, please can you tell me as basic as possible because all i know so far is how to open the terminal box but i dont really understand all the little code words people have been writing on these forums.

Please help me, i have a useless laptop now with no internet access at all and I cant even get it wired internet access because im currently travelling so have no access to it, only wifi,

Hope to hear from you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I have the wireless driver file on usb but need to know how to install it

First of all, lets be sure about your hardware
    On you machine please run the following and paste the result here

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.
    -------------------------------------

Welcome to the forums alfred33 !

Please post the complete name of the driver, as well as the link (if possible) where you downloaded it from.

So that we can make sure the driver is correct for your chip, please also post the output of :
    Code:
    Enter the above command in a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+T) and post back the result here.

Edit: ninja'd by carl4926
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

ahh thanks for the reply guys!! this is a nightmare, i am at a internet cafe and my laptop has just run out of battery!!!
    grhh so i will have to come back tomorrow! Please check this again soon and not foget meee!! Thank you and i will reply tmorrow!!

Beans

hi guys this is the infomation you require

Code:
    abf13@abf13-Satellite-C805D:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter [10ec:8176] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8211] 
    Kernel driver in use: rtl8192ce
    --
    07:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8152 v2.0 Fast Ethernet [1969:2062] (rev c1)
     Subsystem: Toshiba America Info Systems Device [1179:fcd3] 
    Kernel driver in use: atl1c
    abf13@abf13-Satellite-C805D:~$
    and this is where i got the driver from.
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...true#RTL8188CE

Hope to hear from you soon!
    Last edited by varunendra; March 13th, 2013 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added code tags

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aaron3uk View Post
    Code:
    03:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter [10ec:8176] (rev 01)
    Subsystem: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device [10ec:8211] 
    Kernel driver in use: rtl8192ce
    Hi,
    Your card is already supported by a native driver and normally the one from realtek is not required if the native one is working fine.

What is the problem you are having? Difficulty in connection, frequent drops or no wireless at all ?

Please post outputs of -
    Code:
    iwconfig
    rfkill list all
    iwlist scan
    Varun

Beans

Hey Var, the problem is im getting no internet all , cant connect, no devices or anything being shown!

Code:
    abf13@abf13-Satellite-C805D:~$ iwconfig
    eth0 
    no wireless extensions.
    lo no wireless extensions.

abf13@abf13-Satellite-C805D:~$ rfkill list all
    abf13@abf13-Satellite-C805D:~$ rfkill list all
    abf13@abf13-Satellite-C805D:~$ iwlist scan
    eth0 
    Interface doesn't support scanning.
    lo 
    Interface doesn't support scanning.
    abf13@abf13-Satellite-C805D:~$

(the rkill list all didnt do anything!)

hey ver, i dont no too much technical info at all, but is it using the rtl8192ce instead of the RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/nRTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n ???
    Last edited by varunendra; March 13th, 2013 at 09:56 AM. Reason: added code tags

Beans
    Distro

(the rkill list all didnt do anything!)
    That's very odd !

Reboot, go into BIOS and make sure wireless is enabled there. Also, if there is a physical switch for it, make sure it is turned On.

If all these are okay and still rfkill list doesn't return any outputs, please follow the Wireless Script link in my signature, do as the linked post asks to do and post back the diagnostics report here.
    Last edited by varunendra; March 13th, 2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aaron3uk View Post
    hey ver, i dont no too much technical info at all, but is it using the rtl8192ce instead of the RTL8188CE 802.11b/g/nRTL8188CE 802.11b/g/n ???
    That's a common confusion and I just explained it in a post yesterday : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post12554130
    Varun

Beans

Hey Var, thanks for your help but can you please explain as basic what you mean go to BIOS ?? and how do i check its enabled?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast