Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: current laptops that run ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question current laptops that run ubuntu

I was looking over the laptops at BestBuy this evening as I need to get a new one. I've been researching several of the models I looked at and saw some that have had problems. I was just wondering if anyone has purchased a laptop in the last month or two and is successfully running Ubuntu on it? I'm looking in the $500 range roughly. The Dell Inspiron i15r looks good and I see that the 15r has been shown to work, just wasn't sure which flavor of 15r works and if the newer ones would also. Thanks for any help.

Beans

Re: current laptops that run ubuntu

I just purchased an Acer Aspire E1-571-6680 and it runs Ubuntu beautifully. I try to stick to one rule when buying for Ubuntu/Linux in gerneral. Intel, Intel, Intel, hasn't let me down yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by skinnymg1 View Post
    I just purchased an Acer Aspire E1-571-6680 and it runs Ubuntu beautifully. I try to stick to one rule when buying for Ubuntu/Linux in gerneral. Intel, Intel, Intel, hasn't let me down yet.
    Yep. Because of my experience above, I Now have the same rule: Intel, Intel, Intel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by skinnymg1 View Post
    skinny, ordered one of these. Should be here on Monday! Decent looking specs for the money.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks for the response skinny. What kind of battery life are you getting with that? do you get the 4 hours advertised?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rogue1987 View Post
    Thanks for the response skinny. What kind of battery life are you getting with that? do you get the 4 hours advertised?
    To be honest I am never to far from an outlet. Haven't really tested it, yet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not a support question, moving to cafe.

You might find the below sticky thread useful.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006

also https://friendly.ubuntu.com/
    “Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things”
    — Robert A. Heinlein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I apologize codemaniac. And I've been through both of those, but I appreciate the links.

Beans

All I can say is don't by an HP Pavilion G6. Ubuntu doesn't even start on it.

Beans

Thinkpads have a reputation for good Linux support. I bought one at the end of last year and haven't had any problems with it. Battery life is also very good, even on par with or better than Windows when using TLP (http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-...anagement.html).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast