Thread: Virtualbox creates race condition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Virtualbox creates race condition

Using 12.04 64 with Kernel 3.2.0-38. Using the latest VBox in the repos. I've had several occurances of virtualbox freezing then creating a race condition. After I finally kill virtualbox and try to shut down I can't. I end up in a TTY and can't even shutdown the system. I have to hold down the power button to shutdown, which I hate doing. Is this a known issue? CPU gets to temps of 96-99 Celsius. I like virtualbox but not enough to risk frying my computer. I'm done for a while with vbox. I see that it had problems with older kernels. Is there a fix for this?

Kopkins

Beans

Re: Virtualbox creates race condition

I'm not up to speed on the VBox thing but next time you cannot shutdown try this. Hit ctrl+atl+F1, log in, then enter "sudo shutdown -h now". It's never good to hold the button like that, espescially if you have mechanical hard drives in the machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What are the specs for the machine?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by skinnymg1 View Post
    I'm not up to speed on the VBox thing but next time you cannot shutdown try this. Hit ctrl+atl+F1, log in, then enter "sudo shutdown -h now". It's never good to hold the button like that, espescially if you have mechanical hard drives in the machine.
    I didn't have the -h flag in there. I'll try that next time. Yeah I know that's why I hate it so much.

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    What are the specs for the machine?
    Macbook 8,1 with i5-2415M 2-cores+hyperthread and 4GB RAM

I don't run out of RAM when this happens.

Beans
    Distro

Cool Re: Virtualbox creates race condition

Quote Originally Posted by Kopkins View Post
    Using 12.04 64 with Kernel 3.2.0-38. Using the latest VBox in the repos. I've had several occurances of virtualbox freezing then creating a race condition. After I finally kill virtualbox and try to shut down I can't. I end up in a TTY and can't even shutdown the system. I have to hold down the power button to shutdown, which I hate doing. Is this a known issue? CPU gets to temps of 96-99 Celsius. I like virtualbox but not enough to risk frying my computer. I'm done for a while with vbox. I see that it had problems with older kernels. Is there a fix for this?

Kopkins
    hi
    i think it's better to talk about a run-away process than a race-condition (wich can be the reason too).
    some explanation you can (may be) see in my appendix (don't be afraid it's pure ascii).
    i guess the temps of your CPU is coming from USER-mode - figure out which task(s) is (are) reponsible
    ciao
    Last edited by rnerwein; March 13th, 2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: tink i am to stupid to manage a forgotten upload the appendix
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rnerwein View Post
    hi
    i think it's better to talk about a run-away process than a race-condition (wich can be the reason too).
    some explanation you can (may be) see in my appendix (don't be afraid it's pure ascii).
    i guess the temps of your CPU is coming from USER-mode - figure out which task(s) is (are) reponsible
    ciao
    If virutalbox runs away and I kill it and everything dealing with it yet my cpu is still at max what is it?

The processes that are using all the CPU are khelper. And I can't stop them. In system monitor they don't even show up and there isn't a program using more than ~2-3% CPU. The only place khelper shows up is in top. If you looked at the my system monitor everything looked fine except the CPU and RAM usage. I can't stop khelper.

Where is your appendix?

Whatever it is, race or runaway, I don't like my fans at 6000+rpm and my cpu able to boil water.
    Last edited by Kopkins; March 13th, 2013 at 12:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Does anyone else have any ideas about this or a potential solution?