Thread: Chrome + Flash + Chinese Font rendering (solved: not possible at this time)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Chrome + Flash + Chinese Font rendering (solved: not possible at this time)

So I signed up on livemocha.com to learn Chinese. After finding that Chromium only supports flash up to 17.2 and the site requires 17.3, I switched Chromium to Chrome.

The site loads and everything works fine, but the Chinese fonts aren't rendering. I get boxes with x's inside them.

The confusing part is that I have Chinese fonts installed, I can run any other site with Chinese and it displays just fine.

I'm not sure if this is 13.04 specific, but that's what I'm running, so that's why I'm here.
    Last edited by superchar42; March 14th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Asus EeePC 4g Surf (701) - #! Dell Inspiron 9300 - Ubuntu 13.04 Testing iBook G4 PPC - MintPPC from Debian Wheezy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Chrome + Flash + Chinese Font rendering

I think you mean flash 11.2.
    We'd be sitting pretty if adobe was going to support flash on linux until 17.2 came out.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro

You may be using 13.04 but I doubt if it is 13.04 specific. It could be due to the character encoding on the site that you are visiting. They may be using a Windows specific character encoding. See, Chrome Help:

http://support.google.com/chrome/bin...n&answer=95290

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Whoops, yeah, 11.2 vs 11.6. Long night, what can I say.

Well, I switched it to autodetect the character coding, and no luck. Then I added Chinese font support through the Chrome settings, and still nothing.
    Asus EeePC 4g Surf (701) - #! Dell Inspiron 9300 - Ubuntu 13.04 Testing iBook G4 PPC - MintPPC from Debian Wheezy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just out of curiosity, did you try the none flash version in chromium?

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, I took a look at the non flash version. I just wanted to use the flash version, it seems better organized.

Also, I asked on reddit.com/r/chineselanguage and many other users of both chimed in that they have the same problem. Flash loads, font doesn't. That's too bad.

I'm going to screencap and link to the comments thread and send them a note saying "Yes, the linux users matter, and YES it's possible to use flash and support everyone!"

We'll see if it gets through. Thanks for the help, folks.