Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Issue booting Ubuntu from External HDD on desktop. Works fine with laptop?

Beans

Re: Issue booting Ubuntu from External HDD on desktop. Works fine with laptop?

Hi there, thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You do not install grub to a partition or sdb2 but to the MBR of the external drive or sdb. BIOS jumps to MBR to boot and will never see a PBR or partition boot sector.

This can automate the repair and show details.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    Having read this; I attempted to install GRUB to sdb, which is still producing the same error. I have run BootInfo and here is the URL it created: http://paste2.org/p/3233463

You will notice that Lilo is installed on sda. This is because a short while ago I accidentally replaced my Windows MBR with Grub but it wouldn't boot Windows from there, so I used Lilo to rectify this issue. Also sdb has now been relabeled to sde (though I'm not entirely sure why). You will also notice that I'm using Mint at present. That is simply because I hoped that attempting a distro other than Ubuntu may work; though I was clearly wrong.

You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
    Install in Ubuntu liveCD or USB or Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
    http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix
    I attempted to use this to rectify the issue, however the Grub Error remains. It's getting slightly annoying considering all I wish to do is install a linux-based distro onto a partition of my Harddrive and for it to work on both my PC and Laptop. It's strange to me that it still boots perfectly well from my Laptop (even though I had made sdb2 my boot device upon installation), yet the Desktop PC is still having issues.

With the new very large drives, it is better to have / (root) in a small 25GB ext4 partition and then separate /home or /mnt/data partition(s) to use the rest of the space you want to use for Ubuntu.
    How would I go about doing this?

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Tonakai; March 20th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

External drives may change order depending on when you mount or unmount and remount. It is now after your flash drive.
    So you have to check which device it is mounted as when using any commands that are device related.

Did you run the Boot-Repair suggested repair?

Script or grub seems confused. It is looking in both partition one & partition two? Not sure if script or the issue with your FAT32 partiiton which cannot be mounted.

Grub2 (v2.00) is installed in the MBR of /dev/sde and looks at sector 1 of
    the same hard drive for core.img. core.img is at this location and looks
    in partition 1 for (,msdos2)/boot/grub.
    You also have some Linux files in your Windows main install, which may confuse Windows??
    sda3: ___________________________

File system: ntfs
    Boot sector type: Windows 7/2008: NTFS
    Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
    Operating System: Ubuntu 12.10
    Boot files: /etc/fstab /Windows/System32/winload.exe
    I do not recommend FAT32 for any larger partitions. It is ok for small devices like small flash drives or camera cards.
    But it does not support files over 4GB, not has a journel so chkdsk may not work or will take longer. Since Linux cannot mount it, it may need chkdsk from Windows repair console.

Also the same for ext2. It is for small partitions like a separate /boot, if you have a separate /boot which is not
    needed for most desktops. You want ext4 as it has journel. Ext3 is ok but ext4 has been around long enough that there
    are no real issues.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

External drives may change order depending on when you mount or unmount and remount. It is now after your flash drive.
    So you have to check which device it is mounted as when using any commands that are device related.

Did you run the Boot-Repair suggested repair?
    I did, but it didn't seem to help at all.

Script or grub seems confused. It is looking in both partition one & partition two? Not sure if script or the issue with your FAT32 partiiton which cannot be mounted. You also have some Linux files in your Windows main install, which may confuse Windows??
    It seems to boot up alright. I'm not sure how I'd go about fixing this to be honest.

I do not recommend FAT32 for any larger partitions. It is ok for small devices like small flash drives or camera cards.
    But it does not support files over 4GB, not has a journel so chkdsk may not work or will take longer. Since Linux cannot mount it, it may need chkdsk from Windows repair console.

Also the same for ext2. It is for small partitions like a separate /boot, if you have a separate /boot which is not
    needed for most desktops. You want ext4 as it has journel. Ext3 is ok but ext4 has been around long enough that there
    are no real issues.
    This is actually because I use my HDD to boot my game backups on my Wii and Wii U. Fat32 is required sadly otherwise I would not use it.

I also read that guide about dual booting with two separate drives that you linked. It answered my question about having separate partitions for the /boot and / but when I attempted to run linux I get an error stating that there is no filesystem and again back to grub rescue so I'm not really sure how to proceed. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12