Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Administrator right to connect to wireless on 12.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Administrator right to connect to wireless on 12.10

The user without privilege that I setup is mPortal User so I believe the shortname mportaluser is what I would use with the above command.
    Code:
    sudo adduser mportaluser netdev
    Unfortunately that did not work. User still gets prompted for my password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    The user without privilege that I setup is mPortal User so I believe the shortname mportaluser is what I would use with the above command.
    Usually, when there are spaces in user name, the first word is picked as user id by default. So that 'should' be - mportal.

But you don't have to guess the user id, just open the terminal when you are in the account in question and the terminal prompt will show you the user id to be used. For example, my terminal prompt is like this :
    varun@varun-K54C:~$
    Everything before @ is user id, and after that is the host name of the computer. So my user id is varun, and hence the command for me would be -
    Code:
    sudo adduser varun netdev
    Another easier way to get the user id is to simply look in the /home directory. It contain Home directories of all the users created, and they are named exactly as their user IDs. So my $Home is-
    /home/varun
    Mind you, any user or group level change may require you to log out and log back in for the change to take effect.

I'm not sure if it'll work, just making sure you do it the right way.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

The command did not throw an error so I think I got the name right. If I repeat the command then it says that mportaluser is already added. None the less, I will run the sanity checks tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro

Confirmed that the name is in fact mportaluser.

Beans
    Distro

Not a solution, but just for the record for the moment, can you please post the output of -
    Code:
    id mportaluser
    It will tell us which groups the mportaluser is currently a member of. We can then look deeper (probably with a dummy account) to see what may be preventing the account to use the service that the netdev group is supposed to offer.
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Code:
    mportaluser@HP-Compaq-nc6320:~$ id mportaluser
    uid=1001(mportaluser) gid=1001(mportaluser) groups=1001(mportaluser),109(netdev),119(nopasswdlogin)
    mportaluser@HP-Compaq-nc6320:~$

Beans
    Distro

BTW, thanks for sticking with me on this. If I am slow to provide answers it's because CorpIT does not want me to work on this on company time so I'm relegated to do this on my breaks or after hours.

Beans
    Distro

No problem, most often I am much slower than you on the forums

Only two more things I could sum up -

1) Install gnome-system-tools. I don't think it does anything extra regarding user management than what we did using command line, but at least it makes it easier by presenting a gui for the task (and a menu of groups to choose from). After installation it is listed as "Users and Groups" in dash menu.

2) Since the part that I quoted from the wiki page link in post #10 specifically talks about wicd (and says something confusing about Network Manager that I skipped in the quote), install wicd and disable Network Manager for a test, and see if wicd can enforce the group policy any better than NM.

The bug report page steeldriver linked to is also related to NM, so I believe the netdev group (or may be yet another one) is indeed meant to support what you want, but is not working as expected due to some bug. May be wicd can circumvent that. If it doesn't help, I suggest you remove > re-add the user to the group AFTER installing wicd using the installed gui for gnome-system-tools or -
    Code:
    sudo deluser mportaluser netdev
    sudo adduser mportaluser netdev
    Although as obviously apparent, I am mostly taking blind shots now.
    Varun

Beans
    Distro

Well... it looks like CorpIT is putting a kybosh on my original plan. Last I heard, I'm supposed to dispose of them, not just lessen the Microsoft and other license costs.

Still, I hate to toss them in the ewaste bin and hope to salvage some of my time I put into them. Plan B now is to give them away to employees with the agreement that they are never to call CorpIT helpdesk for support nor are they to burden me with support. It would seem CorpIT is concerned about possible support costs.

I then would need to rename my account and change the password on it so the user I give the laptop to, can administer it. When I installed Ubuntu, I used my proper name which I now want to change.

Can I rename my account with "Users and Groups" and if so, how do I change the /home/(my first name) folder name?
    Can I simply create a new "admin" account and delete mine?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Can I rename my account with "Users and Groups" and if so, how do I change the /home/(my first name) folder name?
    Can I simply create a new "admin" account and delete mine?
    I'm not sure about above. You should be okay with creating a new admin with similar privileges, but I don't know if deleting the first user would be safe or not. I also remember from somewhere that certain things are bound to the first UID/GID (1000), but I think you should be all good after adding the new admin to that GID, in case some related issues arise.

Unless someone can confirm, I'm afraid you'll need to do some experiments yourself. Maybe a dummy installation in VirtualBox?
    Varun

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast