Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Easy way to determine which is failing: my wifi card or the access point?

Question Easy way to determine which is failing: my wifi card or the access point?

Let's say I'm connected to an AP at a coffee shop. My connection seems to drop randomly. The coffee shop staff insist the problem must be with my wifi card, but I say no, it must be with the AP. Is it possible to collect any sort of data from dmesg or logs on my machine in order to be certain, one way or the other?

Thanks!

Re: Easy way to determine which is failing: my wifi card or the access point?

Any thoughts on this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kerryhall View Post
    Let's say I'm connected to an AP at a coffee shop. My connection seems to drop randomly. The coffee shop staff insist the problem must be with my wifi card, but I say no, it must be with the AP. Is it possible to collect any sort of data from dmesg or logs on my machine in order to be certain, one way or the other?
    Linux drivers still have problems with n-channel or WPA/WPA2 mixed mode encryption. So if that's the case, the problem is at your side.

There are usually hints to the problem in dmesg logs. Look for the lines that say something about wlan, or its drivers (are often more than one working as a group). Also take a look at iwconfig, iwlist scan.

Alternatively, just download the 'Wireless Script' from the link in my signature and run it when having problem in connecting. Post back its contents or its pastebin link for analysis.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

I'm seeing messages in dmesg that reference my wireless card, but I don't know if the "disconnected" (or similar) messages are the result of my wireless card screwing up somehow, or the access point dropping the connection. Does that make sense?

How do I tell if the output from dmesg is a result of an internal wireless problem, or an external one?

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 27th, 2013 at 03:47 AM.

Ok, I was trying to simplify the problem for the purposes of this thread, but sounds like I should provide as much data as possible.

I'm currently having this issue with three different computers, all with different wireless cards. I have all three connected to my home access point, but I have tried two of em at coffee shops and such. Let me just start with one of them for now. Here is the output:

http://pastebin.com/1DkfSzVq

This card will drop my connection for about 20 seconds sometimes, it will say "disconnected" and then "connected" but other times the connection will drop for around 2-5 minutes, and request the AP password multiple times.

Here is some sample output of dmesg:

http://pastebin.com/5ASGbZ68

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by kerryhall View Post
    Ok, I was trying to simplify the problem for the purposes of this thread, but sounds like I should provide as much data as possible.
    Always provide as much detail as possible or you will get substandard advice.

As for the device you have talked about then take a look at this thread.

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linu....general/92203

Same driver you are using and may well be the same card.

No idea about your other machines though.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Good call

My problem is that I think about an issue, and then try and generalize it. ie, rather than asking for help about this specific card, I originally asked for help about the general case (how to tell if it's my card or the AP). Of course, the general case is much more difficult. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Always provide as much detail as possible or you will get substandard advice.
    I want to rewrite this comment because, after re-reading it, it's not exactly what i meant.

So for the record...

Always provide as much detail as possible or you will get only very general advice.
    @OP. Did that thread help you in any way ?

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast