Thread: installed 13.04 this weekend and nice, also a couple of questions....

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

installed 13.04 this weekend and nice, also a couple of questions....

.... 2 tricks which are just advertised elsewhere but some might want to know and a question for the cognoscenti

Moving windows buttons to right
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout ":minimize,maximize,close"
    last 3 words in order you favour; personally i put minimize last as is the most used of the 3 and find it best there

if you favour old style gnome and want that permanent (i thought there was to be an easy choice given you at login on 13.04 but i log in automatically and saw no such choice so please tell me if i have missed a trick or 2 here)

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    If you want to make the autologin to login to gnome-classic, do this:

For setting GNOME Classic with effects as default:

Code:
     sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-classic
    For setting GNOME Classic without effects as default:

Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-fallback
    also then add

Code:
    gnome-panel  --replace
    to startup applications

i surmise
    Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s unity
    sets it back if you want that undone [but not sure so check first and please confirm or disconfirm if you know please]

and now 2 questions:

●both on 12.04 and now 13.04 i have found that the top bar in gnome takes dragged-in icons but i have as yet never found a way to remove one once in there any suggestions?

2.jpg

compounded issue on this fresh 13.04 the clock is absent but was there in unity and my-weather-indicator is there but does not open out

● i have not as yet found a way to create a desktop launcher on this new install with gnome-fallback... how does one do that? on 12.04 i used this from Stinkeye but so far it does not show up on desktop options

All clever hints and suggestions welcome.... New to 13.04 [like most]... so clear explanations please
    Last edited by shantiq; March 12th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    Playing with Slackware too now ...
    ShanArt

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: installed 13.04 this weekend and nice, also a couple of questions....

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    I did not know that command still worked in 13o4. I thought things got all changed around, good to know.

Do you know about this?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Pr...eClassicTweaks

Im thinking it should still work in 13o4.

Beans
    Distro

xkill 13.04, screensaver preferences 13.04, screensaver 13.04, hibernate , icon

----

=thanx for the link ibjsb4 but so far it does not fix any of my grumblesalso not sure most of that info still applies in 13.04

=============
    something else worth mentioning xkill can be made to work very prettily on this gnome 13.04 [to knock out/quit frozen items

Code:
    sudo apt-get install alacarte
    ● then bring it up
    Code:
    alacarte
    or Applications/System Tools/Preferences/Main Menu

● double click on accessories
    ● click on new items
    ● enter xkill in command and name

● add your own image or this q for quit right-click and save

q.png

● finally go to applications/accessories and drag to top bar then click when you wish to use cross will appear and click on frozen item

=====================

also screensaver preferences not present in 13.04 by default [on this gnome-fallback setup]

it requires installing
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xscreensaver
    then Applications/System Tools/Preferences/Screensaver

=====================

allow hibernate [it is not by default]

====================

to create new desktop icon

go to Places/leftclick/Edit Menus/New Item [it is behind your panel so drag out and enter info]
    Then go to applications find it and drag to desktop and/or icons-bar
    Last edited by shantiq; March 16th, 2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: tagging
    what I like MOST about our Ubuntu ... The Community ie 50 brains are better than one
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

and then the idiot [me] finds out there is an ubuntu-gnome version haaaaa
    ps it comes in at 946M so mayhaps use a usb with unetbootin [in repo]

off to see what it looks like

EDIT: so i check it and it still has all these docking things
    i am confused; this is not different in appearance really not too sure; i shall stick to the modified "gnome-fallback" regular then

see for yourselves

Last edited by shantiq; March 13th, 2013 at 10:49 PM.
    ShanArt

Beans
    Distro

edit icon-bar, gnome icon-bar, top panel edit, add icon, remove icon

ok found the answers for 13.04 but i understand all this info works for 12.04 upwards for folks who have chosen to remain with gnome-panel [we knew all this info 2 years ago but many of us have now forgotten it]

This is for the guys who want their desktop to look retro say Karmic days of yore with gnome as the default
    but still have the latest Linux Kernel powering everything; like an old car with a brand new v8 under the bonnet

it has all to do with the Alt key and left right clicks in the right sequence

● to drag icon-bar to bottom/left/right click Alt then left click and drag to bottom/left/right.

Can also be done this way: place cursor on icon-bar/leftclick/click Alt/rightclick and pick properties/orientation

● right-click on Applications or Places to access alacarte [main menu]
    to move things around say Terminal from Accessories to Office etc.. also new launcher with + new item

● to remove icon from bar: press Alt then hover on icon leftclick and immediately righclick Remove from panel

● or do more adding and removing hover on icon-bar and leftclick/press Alt/rightclick add to panel or Properties

so you end up with this for example

gnome on 13.04.jpg
    Last edited by shantiq; March 16th, 2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: tagging
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

All this is quickly outdated if the gnome3-team ppa is used (upgrading to gnome 3.8 & +)
    For example, as the "fallback" stuff is no more maintained, now with gnome 3.8 its becoming unusable (mainly due to mutter changes)

Note: your tips & tricks might have been written into the dedicated subforum, and not here, and is redundant with the wiki/howto from the community.

Beans
    Distro

yes Dino fair remark but as i indicated

This is for the guys who want their desktop to look retro say Karmic days of yore with gnome as the default
    but still have the latest Linux Kernel powering everything; like an old car with a brand new v8 under the bonnet

so if there is a better place for this info more than happy for it to go there; no doubt there are people who will benefit from the info; and i am well aware they are not a majority ::]]

besides 3.8 is not yet the default [if you gnome fallback you need the stuff above] and plurality of choice has to be one of the elements that makes the Ubuntu community
    Last edited by shantiq; March 16th, 2013 at 01:09 PM.
    ShanArt

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

As dino99, suggested, most of us here are advanced users, and don't pay much attention to these guides, kansasnoob has produced several of these type of guides, but also backs them up with bug reports, and that is what we'd like to see here. If you have run into any bugs, please post them here, with links, otherwise, I'd suggest you hold off this type of posting until after Raring is released, and in general usage.