Thread: installed 13.04 this weekend and nice, also a couple of questions....

Threaded View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

installed 13.04 this weekend and nice, also a couple of questions....

.... 2 tricks which are just advertised elsewhere but some might want to know and a question for the cognoscenti

Moving windows buttons to right
    Code:
    gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.wm.preferences button-layout ":minimize,maximize,close"
    last 3 words in order you favour; personally i put minimize last as is the most used of the 3 and find it best there

if you favour old style gnome and want that permanent (i thought there was to be an easy choice given you at login on 13.04 but i log in automatically and saw no such choice so please tell me if i have missed a trick or 2 here)

Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    If you want to make the autologin to login to gnome-classic, do this:

For setting GNOME Classic with effects as default:

Code:
     sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-classic
    For setting GNOME Classic without effects as default:

Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s gnome-fallback
    also then add

Code:
    gnome-panel  --replace
    to startup applications

i surmise
    Code:
    sudo /usr/lib/lightdm/lightdm-set-defaults -s unity
    sets it back if you want that undone [but not sure so check first and please confirm or disconfirm if you know please]

and now 2 questions:

●both on 12.04 and now 13.04 i have found that the top bar in gnome takes dragged-in icons but i have as yet never found a way to remove one once in there any suggestions?

2.jpg

compounded issue on this fresh 13.04 the clock is absent but was there in unity and my-weather-indicator is there but does not open out

● i have not as yet found a way to create a desktop launcher on this new install with gnome-fallback... how does one do that? on 12.04 i used this from Stinkeye but so far it does not show up on desktop options

All clever hints and suggestions welcome.... New to 13.04 [like most]... so clear explanations please
    Last edited by shantiq; March 12th, 2013 at 08:19 PM.
    Linux is Latin for off-the-beaten-track [◄►] ● Is there Voodoo in the machine?
    ShanArt ● Mark as SolvedXmms