Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secure browsers other than firefox.

Hybrid View

Beans

Secure browsers other than firefox.

I use firefox 19.0 ubuntu 12.04. I have add ons like noscript, adblockplus, betterprivacy, click&clean and apparmor enabled. I am not at all an expert on security issues but it seems with this configuration, firefox is a very secure browser. The only feature I dislike, is that new versions of firefox are released too frequently, some times even within 8days (e.g., from 19.0.1 to 19.0.2) and then I have to upgrade to that version followed by updatation/upgradation of some other sections of software too as required by update manager and in addition, I will have to upgrade to new versions of adblockplus and no script as a result of updating to new version of firefox. This has become irritating. Is there any other web-browser which is as secure as firefox with my current setting but which does not require so frequent updatation? Its true that with new versions of a software we are making the browser more secure and updatation is itself a good security measure but on the other hand if the chain of updatation becomes painful then I may have to think of using some other browser. It would have been nice if instead of releasing an entire version of firefox they would only fix the reported flaws, just like we receive support for ubuntu long-term-support versions. So can experts suggest some other browser as I specified above?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Secure browsers other than firefox.

Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by newhere_m View Post
    I use firefox 19.0 ubuntu 12.04. I have add ons like noscript, adblockplus, betterprivacy, click&clean and apparmor enabled. I am not at all an expert on security issues but it seems with this configuration, firefox is a very secure browser. The only feature I dislike, is that new versions of firefox are released too frequently, some times even within 8days (e.g., from 19.0.1 to 19.0.2) and then I have to upgrade to that version followed by updatation/upgradation of some other sections of software too as required by update manager and in addition, I will have to upgrade to new versions of adblockplus and no script as a result of updating to new version of firefox. This has become irritating. Is there any other web-browser which is as secure as firefox with my current setting but which does not require so frequent updatation? Its true that with new versions of a software we are making the browser more secure and updatation is itself a good security measure but on the other hand if the chain of updatation becomes painful then I may have to think of using some other browser. It would have been nice if instead of releasing an entire version of firefox they would only fix the reported flaws, just like we receive support for ubuntu long-term-support versions. So can experts suggest some other browser as I specified above?
    What is your exact problem? Is it the bandwidth?

Beans

What's wrong with Chrome? I know it's really insecure on Windows, but it seems fine on Linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JLeon85 View Post
    What's wrong with Chrome? I know it's really insecure on Windows, but it seems fine on Linux.
    Source?

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    That's actually not helpful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    not helpful in the slightest.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Source?

My own experience. When I was using it on Windows I would find extensions installed that I didn't want and hadn't requested. Then deleting them would require uninstalling whatever malware it was linked to in the task manager. I'm not aware of any such thing ever occurring on Linux.

Beans

Hi newher_m, What you say is exacly my concern too. Too many updates is not showing much affection with the "customer" and makes me think they do not much testing before spreading an update.
    Last edited by kuifje09; March 12th, 2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast