Thread: Kubuntu, Samba, how does it work?

Beans

Kubuntu, Samba, how does it work?

As a long time user of Samba, and a recent full time adoptee of Kubuntu, I'm a little curious on how exactly Samba works. I see I can right click a folder and hit share and specify what level of access specific users have, but I'm wondering exactly where these configs reside. I checked my smb.conf but nothing was edited, unsurprisingly, since you need root to edit that file and I was not prompted when adding it via Dolphin. Anyway, where's the guts of this? How does KDE work with Samba?
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans

Re: Kubuntu, Samba, how does it work?

Not a KDE user but the Nautilus version of this of this utility defines them in /var/lib/samba/usershares.

Usually you run the following command to see all your Samba Usershare definitions at once:
    Code:
    net usershare info --long
    The big difference between the Dolphin way and the Nautilus way is that in Nautilus it automatically adjusts the permissions of the shared folder where in Dolphin it does not - at least not the last time I used it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post

The big difference between the Dolphin way and the Nautilus way is that in Nautilus it automatically adjusts the permissions of the shared folder where in Dolphin it does not - at least not the last time I used it.
    I'm a little confused over what you're referring to. I always thought the permissions of the folder were... the permissions of the folder. I didn't think anything could be adjusted without some sort of chmod'ing, etc. Unless I'm on the totally wrong page?
    HOW TO - Set up video surveillance with "Motion"

Buying a Lenovo? Do your research first!
    Some Lenovos have a whitelisted BIOS which prevents you from changing the wifi card.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Roasted View Post
    I'm a little confused over what you're referring to. I always thought the permissions of the folder were... the permissions of the folder. I didn't think anything could be adjusted without some sort of chmod'ing, etc. Unless I'm on the totally wrong page?
    If I create a Samba Usershare in Nautilus allowing guest read / write access for example of say ... my Public folder I am presented with a dialog box that looks like this:Usershare.png
    When I select "Create Share" I am presented with another dialog box that asks me if I want it to modify permissions:Usershare-Permissions.png

The last time I used Dolphin ( admittedly some time ago ) it's missing the second step. When I'm done using Nautilus a samba guest client will in fact have r/w access to the share. With Dolphin they cannot unless the user modifies permissions manually.
    Last edited by Morbius1; March 13th, 2013 at 12:38 PM.