Thread: Getting an error while installing 12.10, need help

Beans

Getting an error while installing 12.10, need help

When I try to install Ubuntu 12.10 on my desktop, after I select my language in the installer and click continue, the screen goes black and this error is displayed (Not all at once, there is a delay between each line:
    Code:
    [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: GPU lockup - switching to software fbcon
    [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: Failed to idle channel 1.
    [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: PFIFO - playlist update failed
    [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: Failed to idle channel 2.
    [drm] nouveau 0000:02:00.0: PFIFO - playlist update failed
    After that, the screen goes black again, flashes, and the 2nd through 5th lines of the error are shown again. I am installing from a USB drive, which I know works as it installed without a problem on my laptop. I've tried to find a solution to this problem, and while nothing I've tried has worked, it seems to be related to my video card drivers. I have a Nvidia GTX 580 installed currently. Any help would be appreciated, and if you need me to supply some more information I can.

Beans

Re: Getting an error while installing 12.10, need help

Same Problem here on Kubuntu 12.10 (DVD): Live-"CD": after booting in KDE surface, I can move the Cursor, but when I browse any Icon -> Blackscreen with same "failed"-reports.
    Installation: in the Partition-Step, after setting the Partition size and want to go to the next Step -> Blackscreen. Also by choosing my previously created Partitions. Waiting for 2 minutes and i get a motley Screen for a few seconds.

I´ve also a Nvidia GTX 580 in use.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

thats often the case with too new hardware: you need the latest kernel and driver (not included into 12.10 by default)

should work with 3.6.3 kernel and nouveau from xorg-edgers ppa

boot on recovery mode (hold shift key down at bios end process to get the grub menu), and try fixing installation (in case), then select "root command line"

run these commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppaorg-edgers/ppa ( damn smiley, its _:_xorg )
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    sudo ppa-purge ppaorg-edgers/ppa

thats the 1rst step installing the latest "nouveau" driver then resetting to genuine sources.

next step is getting a newer kernel:

sudo mkdir kern
    cd kern
    wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa....6.3-quantal/*

ls kern
    ( list of the downloaded packages. You will see several files ending either with i386.deb (32 bits) and amd64 (64 bits)

you need to install the packages related to the installed system (32 or 64):
    2 headers : linux-headers......all.deb & linux-headers.... i386.deb (example)
    2 images: linux-image.....i386.deb & linux-image-extra.....i386.deb

so with "ls" list now you can delete the packages you dont need:

sudo rm thepackagename2delete
    ( repeate for each one)

when you only have the required packages, then you can safely installed them:

sudo dpkg -i *

exit
    and reboot
    Last edited by dino99; October 25th, 2012 at 05:13 PM.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Getting an error while installing 12.10, need help

Good Morning,
    now i want to share my latest findings.

Installed Kubuntu with noapic, nolapic & nomodeset - 0 Blackscreen during the complete Installation.
    After boot in KDE Surface, it stops loading during the Splash Screen, greyed, unclickable Desktop in the Background.

-> worn out dino99 to do list. Grub 2 Recovery Mode.
    one Correction, * didn´t work with http:// ->>>

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
    sudo apt-get install ppa-purge
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

next step: newer kernel:

sudo mkdir kern
    cd kern
    wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.6.3-quantal/linux-headers-3.6.3-030603-generic_3.6.3-030603.201210211349_amd64.deb
    wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.6.3-quantal/linux-headers-3.6.3-030603_3.6.3-030603.201210211349_all.deb
    wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.6.3-quantal/linux-image-3.6.3-030603-generic_3.6.3-030603.201210211349_amd64.deb
    wget http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v3.6.3-quantal/linux-image-extra-3.6.3-030603-generic_3.6.3-030603.201210211349_amd64.deb

sudo dpkg -i *

After this, the grey-Desktop-Problem remains.
    ->>> solution from another thread
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

The Problem remains also, installed following and it works.
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Last Words: dino99, thank you! :)

Beans

I've just run into this problem, but the solution described here does not work for me. Recap:

Initial install, ran into PFIFO issue as before.
    Installed fine using noapic nolapic nomodeset, but will not boot normally
    In recovery mode, installed 3.6.3 kernel, xserver-xorg-video-nouveau from xorg-edgers ppa, and updated packages. Still will not boot normally.

Also tried using the whole of xorg-edgers ppa. i.e.:
    add-apt-repository ppaorg-edgers/ppa
    aptitude update
    aptitude upgrade

Boot crashes hard, no keyboard/mouse response. When rebooting into recovery mode, xorg.log complains about a crash (floating point exception) inside nvidia_drv. (Don't have full contents of log here, I'm back inside Windows)

Removing nvidia-current means that I can initially boot to a login screen, but it bombs shortly afterwards with PFIFO issue as before.

Note: I have *two* GTX 580s, in SLI. Don't know if this is causing the additional problems?

Beans

Same problem here.

I've a new HD where I want to install ubuntu and I can't event start the install process.

When I boot from the dvd, either I choose "try ubuntu" or "install ubuntu" I get that ugly message

[drm]nouveau 0000:01:00.0:Failed to idle channel ....

it repeats itself for some lines and then the system hangs.

I read that I should install some kernel or packages with atp but what if I cannot even install ubuntu the first time?

I've a desktop pc without integrated graphic card and an asus geforce gtx580.

Beans

I had the same problem and I fixed it by doing this:

This worked for me. The problem is that novueau drivers are not optimised for Nvidia GTX 580 and probably also for some other cards, but novueau drivers are included in the kernel.

You could also fix this problem by uninstalling the novueau drivers and installing nvidia's own drivers from the website but I am not experienced enought to tell you how to do it.

I hope this fixed your problem.

Žiga