Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boot problems, attempting to upgrade

Beans

Re: Boot problems, attempting to upgrade

Sorry, what is 'the alternate installer'...??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This is a guide to the alternate CD installer. Note that the alternate cd was dropped for 12.10. So it's only available for 12.04.2 right now. http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p2.html

It installs in low graphics mode. Xubuntu has an alternate CD.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

PS I found the old 12.04 ISOs (12.04 and 12.04.1) here: http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04.1/

Beans

bcbc .... great minds think alike....!!!
    .... so did I - mainly triggered by your reference to 'stack' - .... mumbo-jumbo to me
    .... but what caught my eye was something about Precise stack, rather than hardware enablement stack..!!

That was only after I had repeated with Lubuntu the same procedure that I had followed with Xubuntu....
    .... but, as you predicted, with the same result - crash
    .... different displays, but all still failing, including the initial message - GPIO space uninitiated

And I have now downloaded 12.10.1 LTS, burned the DVD, checked it, run it (with nomodeset option), and installed it, on the Dell Dimension 8250.

So we have success - thanks for all your help, and I've learned some stuff along the way.

One snag though - when I boot it up now, it just goes straight into Ubuntu, and does not offer me XP....
    .... is there something I need to do to get into Windows..??

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Cool! That's great news. Because now you have an OS that will be supported for another couple of years.

To get Windows added, first try this from the terminal:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Otherwise, I'll need the booinfoscript results to see what's up.

Beans

First, an update on behaviour....

On the LTS install, I'm sure that I opted for 'side-by-side' with XP.

When I look at the system details it shows Ubuntu in a 25Gb partition....
    .... which is roughly half the hard-drive, and corresponds to what I had in 'free-space'.

When I boot....
    .... it show the initial (bios?) screen OK
    .... then it says it cannot show the display mode (I've tried a couple of different screens) for about 40secs
    .... then it goes into the Ubuntu boot, and show that OK

So it looks to me as if it might well have installed the dual-boot, but now the boot-menu won't show, but times-out to Ubuntu....
    .... just my theory..!!??

Anyway, I don't follow how or where I' supposed to type sudo, etc into the 'terminal'....
    .... this sounds like the Ubuntu equivalent of the command-line
    .... but I cannot get into XP to get access to its command-line
    .... and I've tried looking at Ubuntu help, but got no joy there..??

If you can please give me a steer on that, then I'll type it in.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

To get to a terminal in Ubuntu enter Ctrl+Alt+T. If you're in Xubuntu it's Super+T and Lubuntu should be the same as Ubuntu. See here for more details: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Us...ing_a_Terminal

I think your problem is that grub just isn't displaying itself. To make it show I'd suggest using the 'text' mode.

1. Get to that terminal
    2. Edit the grub defaults file (you can use the command line editor 'nano' from Xubuntu and Ubuntu, or Gedit (gui) for Ubuntu or mousepad (gui) for Xubuntu. I think 'nano' is common to all, and 'vi' exists if you know it otherwise avoid it):
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub

or

gksudo mousepad /etc/default/grub

or

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    3. Then edit the file, deleting the # from the following line:
    Code:
    #GRUB_TERMINAL=console

to

GRUB_TERMINAL=console
    Then save and exit the editor, and regenerate grub:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub

Beans

Wow, that was scary .... but it worked - thanks.
    .... I did used to use DOS, years ago, but I've lost the habit on that sort of stuff.

So now, after the bios bit, a boot menu comes up....
    .... and sandwiched in between Ubuntu and XP there are three other options, Ubuntu (recovery) and a couple of memory-tests
    .... after about 10secs it defaults through to Ubuntu - perfect..!!

I've tried it through to both Ubuntu and to XP, and they both seem to work OK.

Well, that seems to put the Dell Dimension 8250 to bed - thanks for all your help on that.

At the risk of out-staying my welcome, may I ask a couple more (hopefully final) questions....

1 .... when I try the same boot disk in an old Dell Dimension 2400, it ignores it and boots from the hard drive - but I have the setup boot-sequence to read the CD-ROM first - any thoughts..??

2 .... I'm inclined to use the same (12,04.1) version in my Vista Inspiron - even though the full 12.04.2 does seem to work OK, because I'd rather not mix versions - see any problem with that..??

Thanks again.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

1. Assuming it's a DVD/CD drive, and not a CD drive... I wouldn't know why it would ignore it. But there are always reports of people unable to boot from a CD/DVD. I had the same problem on one of my computers (a new one) that for some reason wouldn't boot from the Windows repair CD I had created. I tried it over and over, and finally it worked. So all I can speculate is that there is some "BIOS"/"DVD drive" disconnect over timing, or some firmware bugs - and that it's good to keep trying a few times, sometimes cold boots, sometimes warm reboots. And if it can't be done at all... then there's not much you can do about it.

2. I have 12.04 on my main computer. It's been updated with all the package releases so effectively it's on 12.04.2 but it's running the old stack (which doesn't get upgraded using the normal update manager). I think it's a good idea to just stick with 12.04.1 on both. The only reason to go with the newer is if you are aware of some fix for your hardware.

I'd recommend to setup file sharing on Ubuntu One. You get some free GB (5 or 10) and can use it to synch folders between your computers. I use that to keep copies of things I change (like /etc/default/grub). Then you don't have to try to remember something you changed on one computer but isn't yet on the second.
    Or just keep notes somewhere in the cloud like Gmail or Google Drive - if you ever have to reinstall you won't remember everything.

So e.g. create a folder ~/Documents/SavedSystemChanges (the "~/" is automatically expanded to your /home directory i.e. /home/hermintrude/Documents/SavedSystemChanges directory) and then you can synch that to ubuntu One and copy files you change into it. e.g. from terminal:
    Code:
    cp /etc/default/grub ~/Documents/SavedSystemChanges/etc_default_grub

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123