Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X crashes because of LibreOffice

Beans

X crashes because of LibreOffice

Frequently, when opening LibreOffice Writer via Unity panel, or after that, when opening a doc or odt file, a general crash happens in user interface, the screen goes black or flashes, the whole system crashes. sometimes lightdm restarts and returns to the login screen.
    I would like to report this bug, but do not know which log file should I attach to allow debugging.

Ubuntu 13.04 32bits
    LibreOffice 4.0.1.2

HP Pavilion dv6000
    NVidia Graphics - GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M
    nvidia-304-updates driver

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: X crashes because of LibreOffice

you should find a crash file inside /var/crash/ , simply right click on it to report with Apport; all the needed task is done by apport to post a bug on launchpad.
    maybe you can grab some more info into .xsession-errors too.

Beans

Dino99, thank you for the reply!
    The problem is that files inside /var/crash/ are not being updated when this bug happens. Files have modify date of yesterday, although today the bug have happened at least 3 times.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There was an update to Libreoffice yesterday and another one today. What is the build ID? On my system I have Libreoffice 4.0.1.2 Build ID:400m0 (Build:2) You get this info from the Libreoffice help menu.

What I find strange about this issue is that is does not trigger a crash report. On development releases the crash reporter utility Apport is enable by default. When a system crash is detected Apport should tell you that there has been a crash and invite you to report it. If you search for Apport in the Ubuntu Software Centre you will see if it is installed or been removed. You can do the same using Synaptic Package Manager but you will have to install Synaptic first.

Just a thought. I might not be the Xserver that is crashing. It could be Compiz the compositing/window manager. What to do? Not sure at all. Try another video driver?

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 12th, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Libreoffice 4.0.1.2 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:2))
    Apport is installed here, version 2.9.1-0ubuntu1.
    The crash occurred once more time and there is no trace.

I guess the crash is related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/568492
    The cause seems to be the nvidia driver, which was recently upgraded to nvidia-304-updates (304.84-0ubuntu2), without improving.
    Nouveau driver does not work on HP Pavilion dv6000 - GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW! (is an adventure installing the operating system under heavy flicker, unable to see the commands in screen, but it's only possible on that way)

I had so many problems with video driver that I chose to abandon Ubuntu 12.10 and use Ubuntu 13.04 alpha. Unfortunately there was no significant improvement.
    When connecting an external monitor the issue became more frequent and it is impossible to use LibreOffice.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by wribeiro View Post
    Libreoffice 4.0.1.2 (Build ID: 400m0(Build:2))
    Apport is installed here, version 2.9.1-0ubuntu1.
    The crash occurred once more time and there is no trace.

I guess the crash is related to this bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/568492
    The cause seems to be the nvidia driver, which was recently upgraded to nvidia-304-updates (304.84-0ubuntu2), without improving.
    Nouveau driver does not work on HP Pavilion dv6000 - GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M/integrated/SSE2/3DNOW! (is an adventure installing the operating system under heavy flicker, unable to see the commands in screen, but it's only possible on that way)

I had so many problems with video driver that I chose to abandon Ubuntu 12.10 and use Ubuntu 13.04 alpha. Unfortunately there was no significant improvement.
    When connecting an external monitor the issue became more frequent and it is impossible to use LibreOffice.

You could try one of the other nvidia drivers. At least on my setup I get offered a choice of several different proprietary nvidia drivers. As to which one is considered the "normal" one to use I have no idea.

Beans

I tried all available drivers.

- Nouveau, the default driver, results in a heavy flicker, screen is unreadable.
    - nvidia-173 is the worst of all. The message is as follows: "The screen is running in low-graphics mode. Your screen graphics card, and input device settings could not be detected correctly. You will need to configure this yourserf."
    - nvida-310, nvidia-313 sets wrong resolution, do not use acceleration, compiz do not work, Unity panel/bar disappear.
    - 304-experimental also dont work.

The only one that works is nvidia-304-updates, but LibreOffice is unusable: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...rs/+bug/568492

The question is: Why only LibreOffice??
    Last edited by wribeiro; March 13th, 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Beans

I really hope that Canonical does not release version 13.04 without solution for this, since there is no way to get around, except stop using LibreOffice and create a virtual machine with Windows. The worst possible!

For now, would be sufficient to report the problem in Launchpad. The biggest help of this forum I need now is to locate a log file on my computer that allows the tracking error.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

i am using the 313.26 nvidia driver on my desktop on xubuntu 13.04 and i was able to open libreoffice writer with no issues
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

I'll try xubuntu.
    Thanks for suggestion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast