Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 LibreOffice SMB issues

Beans

Ubuntu 12.10 LibreOffice SMB issues

Hello.

I've been using Ubuntu for years in my office environment which is mainly a Windows environment and am now on 12.10. The combination Ubuntu, SMB and LibreOffice has been working like a charm for years. However, now both 12.10 default LibreOffice version and the latest 4.0 version, do not work on files stored on SMB shares. This is a very annoying situation forcing me into other desktop environments to do my work. It is very odd that both Ubuntu and the LibreOffice developers introduce versions of software with serious issues like this. So the question is if there exists a workaround for this issue? The next question is if anybody know when there is there is supposed to be issued a fix for this?

- Sven
    Last edited by svenole; March 12th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 LibreOffice SMB issues

Quote Originally Posted by svenole View Post
    do not work on files stored on SMB shares.
    Can you be a little more specific as to what the issue is? Libreoffice 4.x and SMB shares are working fine here with *buntus 12.04/12.10/13.04.

Beans

Hmm..

When using default Libreoffice that follows Ubuntu 12.10 (now 3.6.2.2) it is possible to open files on SMB shares, but it is not possible to save them. This creates an error message telling that file does not exist and/or general IO error. If running LibreOffice 4.0, the application just hangs when trying to open or save a document to a SMB share and the process stays in limbo until reboot. It is not possible to kill it off and it is not possible to access Libreoffice until reboot. This is 12.10 using standard Windows file server (Windows 2008 I think). Now, I would be really surprised if you can get Libreoffice 4.x to work on SMB shares since the release notes specifically says that SMB access is broken... Maybe it has been fixed in an update?
    Last edited by svenole; March 12th, 2013 at 08:18 PM.

Beans

I have the same issue here, running 12.04.2 with LibreOffice 4.0.2. Seems to an issue in LO4.

Beans

Same issue here. Ubuntu 12.10 with standard libreoffice 3.6.2.2
    Opening a text document on same samba share with an other editor works ok. Must be a libreoffice problem.

Beans

By my recollection this has gone on for years now.

Is the problem with LibreOffice? Yes.
    Is the problem with gvfs? Yes.
    Does the problem exist when you use another editor? No.

Will these two children ever work out their differences? Without adult supervision it doesn't seem likely.

I'm guessing most of you folks are mounting the share through Nautilus. That invokes gvfs and that's where the problem begins. Mount it the way your grand pappy mounted a remote share:

Create a mount point:
    Code:
    mkdir /home/morbius/NetShare
    Make sure you have cifs installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
    Mount the remote share:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.0.100/share-name /home/morbius/Netshare -o dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0666,nounix,nobrl
    Edit and try to save a document on the remote share.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There is a bug report for this here. According to comment #44, the bug has been fixed in version 4.0.2 packaged in this PPA.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    There is a bug report for this here. According to comment #44, the bug has been fixed in version 4.0.2 packaged in this PPA.
    My fstab automounts via cifs

//192.168.1.14/Folder /media/Folder cifs credentials=/home/.WinCred,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0

and still I can't save to a share.

And now, it won't even save to Documents in /home/user folder. I'm using 4.0.2.2.