Thread: Minimum hardware for netflix

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Minimum hardware for netflix

My current home theater solution (Boxee Box) is on it's last legs, and I'm looking to build an HTPC to run XBMC. As far as XBMC, I'll be satisfied as long as I can play 720p, which is trivial. My bigger issue is running the netflix desktop app from the compholio repo. It runs flawlessly on my desktop, but on my first gen Atom/Ion netbook it's unwatchable.

What's the most minimal hardware it will run well on? It doesn't have to be flawless playback, but it needs to be respectable.

I've been considering either http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16856119070 but I'm concerned about whether or not it will have enough horsepower for netflix. There are several others that have next gen ION and/or faster CPUs, but the price goes up quickly.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Minimum hardware for netflix

Any response from users would be helpful. Just what you're running it on and how well it plays would help to figure out what I/we need to make it run well.

AMD Phenom II x4, quad core 2.6Ghz CPU
    4GB ram
    Nvidia GeForce 9800GT
    Ubuntu 12.10 64bit
    Fully up to date Compholio Netflix
    Runs more or less perfectly. Only issues are occasional buffering due to so-so WiFi connection.

Intel Atom D330 dual core 1.6Ghz CPU (old Atom CPU)
    2GB Ram
    Nvidia Ion (first gen)
    Ubuntu 12.10 64bit
    Fully up to date Compholio Netflix
    Launches reasonably quick, interface is sluggish but manageable, video stutters and stops so badly that it is unwatchable. Worth pointing out that the same system plays 720p via XBMC flawlessly, so it is definitely an issue specific to compholio netflix.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Minimum hardware for netflix

Last bump. Anybody out there willing and able to post the hardware they're using for netflix?