Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: 10.04 LTS: will it live on?

I think possibly you might find Mint Mate a suitable modern alternative
    At least give it a test run in Live mode
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

You can always download the latest GIMP from this magical website: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

As for 10.04, the conversation is short and simple: completely unsupported for desktop users after April 2013. Your computer will not explode, but if you continue with 10.04, it will be on a self-support basis.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Or maybe you should try rolling your own with the mini iso. I have a gnome-classic-desktop only install thats a full build with 1284 packages. If I max it out with extra toys it can be up to 1500+ packages. Still lighter than most and I have found it faster than Xubuntu.

Beans

ps I use Fuduntu on one of my computers. They are committed to the outdated Gnome 2 desktop, a lot of former Ubuntu users are switching over, it's really a very nice distro: http://www.fuduntu.org/

Beans
    Hidden!

yes, i think snowpine's answer is clear.

a few things this i learned since i started this:

- i discovered MATE desktop environment, a continuation of gnome 2 (hope i'm getting this right).
    [i always found xfce to be slightly too heavy for my taste and it has a few quirks that are driving me insane. were driving me insane, maybe it's fixed in 4.10. gnome2 DE (as in MATE or ubuntu lucid) just seems snappier and sturdier.]

- it's good to hear that ubuntu studio is using the medium weight xfce desktop. startup times are only slightly higher than tangostudio (which uses gnome2 and a 2.6 kernel). i haven't gotten around to using it as a sound station yet. pulseaudio and jack together, i don't know...

- tangostudio people are working on a debian based continuation.

- checking out fuduntu now.

thanks and have a good time!

d.
    Last edited by ohnonot; March 20th, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
    please stick to the facts and be kind.
    what else can you do when you don't know each other.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . my avatar

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12