Thread: Running Baldur's Gate II

Beans

Running Baldur's Gate II

I'm running wine 1.4.1 on ubuntu 12.10. I've managed to get the game successfully installed using instructions found online, but when I try to launch the game nothing happens. Clicking on BGMain.exe or baldur.exe doesn't do anything, though when I type "wine BGMain.exe" in a terminal I get the following errors:

"err:module:import_dll Library DPLAYX.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\Program Files\\Black Isle\\BGII - SoA\\BGMain.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Black Isle\\BGII - SoA\\BGMain.exe" failed, status c0000135"

I'm guessing the errors have something to do with this, but I haven't been using linux or wine for very long, so I have no clue what to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Running Baldur's Gate II

Search for winetricks in your dash, launch it and install DirectPlay.

If you can't find it in the dash, the try to do the above using the terminal, i.e.:
    Code:
    winetricks directplay
    Also, try installing the latest version of Wine; instructions are here.

Hope that helps.

Beans

Re: Running Baldur's Gate II

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Search for winetricks in your dash, launch it and install DirectPlay.

If you can't find it in the dash, the try to do the above using the terminal, i.e.:
    Code:
    winetricks directplay
    Also, try installing the latest version of Wine; instructions are here.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you very much, that fixed it. I'm surprised the solution was so simple.

I seem to now be having trouble getting the game to recognize the disk; it says "Place cd 2 in drive D:\ and doesn't do anything when I insert the second disk. I think I'll probably be able to figure this out, though.