Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: May not go back to Debain after all

Beans

Smile May not go back to Debain after all

Ubuntu GNOME Is Now An Official Ubuntu Flavor

The Ubuntu Tech Board approved last week that Ubuntu GNOME is now an official flavor/derivative of Ubuntu Linux.

As some non-Mir news, Tim Lunn of the Ubuntu GNOME project wrote into Phoronix that the OS spin is now an official Ubuntu flavor. Ubuntu GNOME was originally released last year in conjunction with Ubuntu 12.10, but now the flavor has been approved by the Tech Board per the IRC meeting logs.

Beans

Re: May not go back to Debain after all

Very nice. The trouble with Gnome Shell (3.4) in Debian Testing is the fact that the dozen Gnome games are tied to the meta-package. So any attempt to remove Gnabbles and pals threatens to pull down the whole Gnome Shell with it. That and the fact that with my PC it defaults to fallback mode until the proprietary drivers are installed.

Beans

I prefer Gnome to the Unity desktop, actually anything is preferred to that. I am using XFCE or xubuntu 99% of the time.

Beans

I prefer Gnome to the Unity desktop, actually anything is preferred to that. I am using XFCE or xubuntu 99% of the time.
    How interesting. Maybe we should base the whole Linux eco-system on your preference. We could rename it from Linux to JPaulbux. Do you think the developers would be up for that?
    Last edited by mr john; March 13th, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Beans

Hi jPaulb,
    When you say "Debian" do you mean the Debian distro....... like Debian squeeze?
    Its on my list of distro(s) to try out.
    I understand they may have a flavor still using Gnome 2?
    But don't know much about how they compare to the Ubuntu fork.

Interested in any info you are inclined to share :-]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    How interesting. Maybe we should base the whole Linux eco-system on your preference. We could rename it from Linux to JPaulbux. Do you think the developers would be up for that?
    JPaulbux is too long maybe bux or pux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post

Oh what a **** you sound

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Removed double post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DVD-R View Post
    Hi jPaulb,
    When you say "Debian" do you mean the Debian distro....... like Debian squeeze?
    Its on my list of distro(s) to try out.
    I understand they may have a flavor still using Gnome 2?
    But don't know much about how they compare to the Ubuntu fork.

Interested in any info you are inclined to share :-]
    I am slow to get back to you. Ubuntu is based on Debian, which is more conservative, a bit more difficult to install. It require thinking. Their stable release is a production release, which is available when it is available, it could be 6 months or 18 months. the Debian site can explain it better than I can. I do not know where Ubuntu is going, some of the decisions make me think of the Microsoft of Linux, others are far reaching. I would like to see a collaboration between all the Linux distros that could produce an OS that would kick MS ass. It is counter productive for X and rising number of flavours Linux competing for a niche market
    Last edited by cariboo; March 25th, 2013 at 04:54 AM. Reason: fixed microsoft and ass spelling errors.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@jpaulb, there are many commercial enterprises that pay developers to work on Linux, some of them are competitors for the same market share, do you really think that they would all agree to work on only one linux distribution?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast