Thread: Rendering of code tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Rendering of code tags

Is there an option for "only show scrollbars where necessary" that could be turned on in this new version of the board? I'm fairly sure the old version didn't add all these distracting scrollbars?

For example:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...3#post12553113
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Rendering of code tags

Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it can be fixed via CSS.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post
    I'm fairly sure the old version didn't add all these distracting scrollbars?
    The pre-upgrade version did show the horizontal scrollbars in the same way in Firefox. A horizontal scrollbar is shown where there is a very long line in order to prevent wrapping of the line. It probably would be possible to prevent the appearance of horizontal scrollbars by allowing line wrap, and another forum software, phpbb, does in fact do that. But that makes the rendering of code confusing or even misleading, by giving the visual appearance of newlines where there are none.

Vertical scrollbars are added when there are more than 30 lines, and this also is unchanged from pre-upgrade.

EDIT: I've amended the above to be clear that it applies to Firefox. I've discovered that in Chrome or Chromium in Ubuntu, the code box in the post you link doesn't add a horizontal scrollbar but wraps the line according to the width of the browser window. If I make the browser window very narrow, it wraps the line into 4 lines and also adds a vertical scrollbar. Which way of rendering code boxes is to be preferred would be a matter of debate, I guess. I'll check what happens in other browsers.
    Last edited by coffeecat; March 14th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    I'll check what happens in other browsers.
    Safari 5.1.7 and Internet Explorer 9 behave the same way as Chrome/Chromium. In brief: no horizontal scrollbar and wraps long lines. Firefox, in contrast, preserves the integrity of long lines of code at the expense of adding a horizontal scrollbar.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Safari 5.1.7 and Internet Explorer 9 behave the same way as Chrome/Chromium. In brief: no horizontal scrollbar and wraps long lines. Firefox, in contrast, preserves the integrity of long lines of code at the expense of adding a horizontal scrollbar.
    Huh. That makes me wonder if Firefox is the odd man out when it comes to rendering pre tags, even when they are styled a specific way with CSS.

I noticed the same thing with my site when I wanted the horizontal scroll bar instead of having the code wrap, but the only way I got it to work was to use p tags with a specific class instead of pre tags, even though the css was the same.

Thanks for checking into it.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Rendering of code tags [SOLVED]

Thanks for looking into it. I've just looked at that link again and the scrollbars have gone. Same machine, same browser (Chromium).

When I was looking at it the other evening, the text was wrapped and had both vertical and horizontal scrollbars. Scrolling vertically was necessary to see all the text. I should have taken a screenshot but I didn't.

I'm going to mark as solved in the sense that the problem has disappeared for me. I was on a hotel WiFi at the time but I can't see how that would have affected it.
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].