Thread: Book on Effecient C++ Programming

Beans

Book on Effecient C++ Programming

I am looking for a book (or any resource) on high-performance C++ programming techniques. I know how to program in C++, but I want to learn habits for developing more efficient code. Any suggestions?

iMac71 is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Re: Book on Effecient C++ Programming

Beans

I haven't read it, so don't know if this book is any good, but is free online, and looks like the kinda thing you're after, so you may want to check it out;
    http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/details.php?ebook=1862

Beans

Have you studied any algorithmic analysis or data structures? I'm sure there are tons of obscure hacks that you can do to make your C++ programs run faster, but as they say, "It's the algorithm, stupid." In other words, you'll almost universally get better results from reworking your algorithms (which is essentially language-agnostic) than you will from taking advantage of stuff that's specific to C++.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

May be pretty dated, but has anybody read Code Complete recently?

I had the first edition, and found it very useful.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Modern C++ Design: Generic Programming and Design Patterns Applied.

This book makes use of and explores a C++ programming technique called template metaprogramming, a technique in which templates are used by a compiler to generate temporary source code, which is merged by the compiler with the rest of the source code and then compiled. The output of these templates include compile-time constants, data structures, and complete functions. The use of templates can be thought of as compile-time execution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Bjarne Stroustrup's is responsible for the language. Check out his masterpiece after you've read all the other suggestions. Its not for the faint of heart. I don't recommend his haircut though! I used to have an autograph copy of his book...lost it in a blaze