Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Still as confusing as ever or?

Beans

Re: Still as confusing as ever or?

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Doesn't look like the OP wants any help. More like he's trying to persuade himself that Linux is hard to learn and use.

---

Dear OP, you may believe what you want to believe. However, as a matter of fact, Linux installation was as straightforward as Windows installation even back in 1998. As for additional software installation - in Ubuntu you got Software Center. A full-blown GUI application with search. Search for something, click on a package in the search results, click "Install". Yeah, that's it.
    My parents in their sixties even switched from MS, and they can finger it out...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Everything has a learning curve. Especially if it involves using a different OS. Linux IS NOT Windows. Linux is not a Windows replacement. Linux is a different beast altogether.

For example, there's no such things as a C: drive or D: drive. Everything is inside / , with your home folder (which contains your personal files) being /home.
    When you want to install a software, you open Ubuntu Software Center, search for it and install it, like Flash. If it's not inside USC. then you can search for it online manually and download a installer, which usually ends with .deb (like Windows' .exe), like Chrome. And etc. etc. etc.

You don't become a Linux expert overnight. You have to learn. And from the sound of your posts, you don't want to. So why are you switching away from Windows?

If you still want to do this, then you need to ask us helpful questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Please have patience, it really appears daunting at first, but most of my friends concurred that what seems daunting was just different. It means things are little different then they are in windows. Also if you really want to learn something about linux, please look at the beginners guide in my signature.

Beans

ManamiVixen
    I would have to agree with Fuzzflyer. (some) I to have had major problems and in everything I do is failing. I tried to install Chrome as well and still get failure. I did sudo apt-get install chrome-browser = Unable to lock the administration directory. I have tried several other ways and get failure in the same way. This is my second day of trying Ubuntu and will still continue to hang in there. BTW so far I feel that Fedora 18 is much more user friendly. That could change.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mamoore8743
    ManamiVixen
    I would have to agree with Fuzzflyer. (some) I to have had major problems and in everything I do is failing. I tried to install Chrome as well and still get failure. I did sudo apt-get install chrome-browser = Unable to lock the administration directory. I have tried several other ways and get failure in the same way. This is my second day of trying Ubuntu and will still continue to hang in there. BTW so far I feel that Fedora 18 is much more user friendly. That could change.
    A quick google search for "chrome for linux" provided me with this link https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
    Last edited by Deuce1912; March 12th, 2013 at 02:35 PM.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamoore8743 View Post
    Unable to lock the administration directory.
    See this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1858466

Quote Originally Posted by mamoore8743 View Post
    sudo apt-get install chrome-browser
    Actually there are two editions of Chrome. The open source one is called Chromium, and you can install it with sudo apt-get install chromium-browser. The other edition (featuring some proprietary extensions) is called Chrome and you can install it from this PPA. The reason why you might want the latter is that Chrome, unlike Chromium, comes with in-built latest version of Flash which is otherwise unavailable on Linux.
    Last edited by prodigy_; March 12th, 2013 at 03:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Try installing Windows on a new machine without any previous operating system. Not easy.

And you end up with Windows.
    I just did that, a clean Windows install. It was a pain; everything installed fine but it took forever then the Windows update & antivirus & applications took forever + a day. It takes me about an hour to install everything I need with *buntu/Mint. I think the reason some people have trouble is that all computers operate exactly like Windows in their minds, it's the only thing they've known. When something is slightly different they throw up their hands and pronounce it junk.

A relative was trying to run Mint 14 under Windows, could not understand how something could run on a computer without Windows. After a few minutes booting from a DVD and connecting to her WiFi, it was "How about that! Can I play with this without breaking it?". She was running from a DVD so I said "Yup, can't break it". I didn't mention mounting H.D. partitions and I'm pretty sure she wouldn't know enough to do that.
    Last edited by kurt18947; March 12th, 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    Try installing Windows on a new machine without any previous operating system. Not easy.

And you end up with Windows.
    I have done it many times, starting with Windows 3.0, and found it to be relatively easy although that big pile of floppy disks in the early days could be a bit of a pain. The 100+ linux installs I have done were also relatively easy, except for Red Hat 12 or 13 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12