Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unbootable after installing Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

Unbootable after installing Ubuntu 12.10

Hello,

My first goal was to install Ubuntu 12.10 on my old computer to replace Windows XP. I began by installing Ubuntu 12.10 alongside WinXP, just for a test. It worked pretty well. But I did not want to keep WinXP.

So I installed Ubuntu to replace WinXP. But the installation stops at the window that asks ''Who Are You'', the files are copied and the activity indicator stops spinning after a while. I can never get the ''Welcome window'' neither the message ''installation complete''.

If I shut the power off and I restart, the computer does not boot. Instead I get a black screen with a small dash that turns on and off in the upper left corner. I did make the proper changes to the boot priority in the bios.

However, when I try to reinstall Ubuntu, it recognizes that it is already installed offering me to install Ubuntu 12.10 alongside Ubuntu 12.10 or to replace Ubuntu 12.10!

What went wrong? Can someone help me?

Thank you.
    Last edited by durami; March 14th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Unbootable after installing Ubuntu 12.10

Did you have a working install on this computer?

Some older computers may not have the resources for full Ubuntu with Unity. I use fallback on my 6 year old system with 1.5GB of RAM and that works well. If less than that then Xubuntu or Lubuntu may be better choices.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Did you have a working install on this computer?

Some older computers may not have the resources for full Ubuntu with Unity. I use fallback on my 6 year old system with 1.5GB of RAM and that works well. If less than that then Xubuntu or Lubuntu may be better choices.
    The computer on which I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 is 10 years old. I upgraded the ram to 3Gb and installed a 500Gb HD. Since the installation of Ubuntu alongside WinXP did work fine, is it possible that something has gone wrong when I tried to install Ubuntu in order to replace WinXP? And if so, what could it be?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Some really old BIOS cannot boot any boot files beyond 100GB. You usually can use the remaining space for data but the / partition must be fully within the first 137GB.

If BIOS is that old it may not even support a drive that large. Does BIOS show drive?
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Some really old BIOS cannot boot any boot files beyond 100GB. You usually can use the remaining space for data but the / partition must be fully within the first 137GB.

If BIOS is that old it may not even support a drive that large. Does BIOS show drive?
    This is interesting but I am not shure if I understand the question: ''Does BIOS show drive?''. Where and what should I read in the BIOS to give a useful answer?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I assume if install disk sees drive, BIOS has reported it to operating system. But you should go into BIOS and see what it says about drive. Do you have it in IDE or LBA or Large. It may not even have the newer AHCI setting.

Beans

What are your computers's specs? Unity and Ubuntu 12.10 need really fast hardware and a good 3D accelerated card such as an Nvidia 8200 or newer. Older cards are not supported by 12.10 but are under 12.04. Some ATI cards are supported by I don't know which ones. Intel graphics are not supported on 12.10 below and including the i915 chipset. But Intel has released an installer for that driver on Ubuntu 12.10

Beans

The drive is in IDE. (Please read reply to ManamiVixen)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    What are your computers's specs? Unity and Ubuntu 12.10 need really fast hardware and a good 3D accelerated card such as an Nvidia 8200 or newer. Older cards are not supported by 12.10 but are under 12.04. Some ATI cards are supported by I don't know which ones. Intel graphics are not supported on 12.10 below and including the i915 chipset. But Intel has released an installer for that driver on Ubuntu 12.10
    I'll give the specs of my computer but first here's what I did:
    1 - I reinstalled WinXP
    2 - During the process formatting is proposed
    3 - I pressed format
    4 - I then reinstalled Ubuntu
    5 - It is proposed: alongside or replacing WinXP
    6 - I pressed replacing
    7 - The installation seems to have completed successfully and Ubuntu seems to be operating without any problem.

Is the fact that the drive was formated that made the difference? I do not know.

One small problem remains: when asked to choose the language, I selected ' French (ca)'', but Ubuntu was installed in English!?! Is there a way without reinstalling Ubuntu to switch from English to French.

That computer specs: MB Asus P4P800 Deluxe; Graphics Radeon 9600SE; Ram 3Gb; Drive WD 500Gb
    DVD drive LG SuperMulti.

Thanks to you all for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I have not tried changing languages, but in System Settings is Language support which seems to be the settings you need. How you get to System Settings varies based on gui or DE you are using.

Did you install 64 bit or 32 bit version?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast