Thread: Blank screen after switch user

Beans

Exclamation Blank screen after switch user

When I switch to guest account and back to my user again, the screen is blank (black, white or colored - striped). I have AMD Catalyst 12 installed. My netbook is an Acer Aspire 722.

I run Xubuntu 12.10 x32.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Blank screen after switch user

I've just noticed the same problem on my own system. Logging into any account other than my own (Xubuntu 12.04) results in a blank screen and even a black screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Try <ALT>-<PRINTSCREEN>-K at the black screen.

I have never seen a machine where all the switch user, suspend, hibernate options work correctly.
    This includes Windows and Linux.
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, but it didn't work. What is that key-combo supposed to do anyway?

Also, I don't think Xubuntu is actually switching users. Something weird is going on. When I choose switch user, then choose "guest" (not guest-acount), I get switched to a blank screen. If I then ctrl-alt-f7, I'm brought back (or switched) to my own account. All the tty's are available, but for some reason I can't successfully switch users (or I get a blank screen)? I don't know which is happening.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

<ALT><PRINTSCREEN>-K kills all processes and re-initializes the X server.

A switch user fails on rare occasions on my system and typing <ALT><PRINTSCREEN>-K at the black screen will return me to the login screen.
    The <PrintScreen> key is labeled <SysRq> on some keyboards.

The SysRq key is a key combination understood by the Linux kernel, which allows the user to perform various low-level commands regardless of the system's state.
    Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well... it seems I've finally found Xubuntu's (or XFCE's) fatal flaw. Somebody was having this problem way back in 2007. If this bug wasn't solved in the intervening 6 years, I doubt it's going to be solved here. But hope springs eternal...

Beans

This is not limited to Xubuntu. I have regular Ubuntu and experience the same problem. For me I run a multi user environment at home and this causes me a particular problem. If one of my family members hasn't logged in before the switch user screen begins to fail, then there is no amount of changing virtual terminals that is going to get them to their desktop.

It looks to me that the issue is with the virtual gui terminals that are number F7 and up. Each user that logs in will receive the next available number. It is my thought that the login screen is granted a virtual terminal as well. But I have no idea how to resolve this issue.

Beans

Seems that I'm not going to get an answer for this one. I will attempt to log it as a bug.