Thread: How do I work with .URL files?

Beans

How do I work with .URL files?

I am a recent convert from the Windows 7 system. I am used to being able to click on a .URL file and it would load up into my FireFox application. I tried to associate these URL file types with Firefox now
    in Ubuntu and when I click on a file, the application just keeps opening tabs one after another. Is there a way I can simply get these files to work with firefox? Also I couldn't get Chrome to work with them either. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do I work with .URL files?

http://ubuntugenius.wordpress.com/20...using-firefox/ <-- This is likely what you're looking for.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, johnu1960

If I understand correctly open with another application in the right click context menu may help when you select the file/document . I don't know if you are referring to .html files or some thing else.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Doing some more reading on this and it looks like the fix listed above stopped working around Lucid. I'll keep an eye out, sad that Microsoft felt the need to create this .url format, god forbid something standard was kept standard.
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

Beans
    Distro

Isn't it just a couple of binary characters and then a URL? What's stopping you from opening the files in a text editor and just copying and pasting the URL into Firefox? Or creating a simple launcher using "xdg-open <url>"?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try creating a script like this (a text file containing two lines):
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    firefox $(grep -m1 'URL=.*' $1 | cut -d= -f2-)
    then make it executable (right click it end edit the properties)
    and then right-click a .url file and edit its properties so that it is always opened by the script you just made.

Beans

Thanks to everyone for your replies. I have been busy at work this week so I am just getting to this now.

Cog, I created the text file you suggested and saved it in my home folder. The file is called URLopen and it has a type of shell script (application/x-shellscript). The permissions were set to allow executing file as program. But when I right click on a .url file, it does not list the newly created script, URLopen, as one of the options. How do I get the script to show up in Opens With?