Thread: GPU Lockup Error

Beans

GPU Lockup Error

I've got a irritating problem on my laptop. It freezes for a couple of seconds, and gives me error messages indicating I've experienced a problem. My laptop was first installed with ubuntu 11.10, and upgraded to 12.04 and now 12.10. I've only been experiencing this problem for a week or two.

Here's a link to my computer specs: http://www.cnet.com/laptops/acer-asp...-35279962.html

And here's an album with screenshots of the error messages: http://s982.beta.photobucket.com/use...ry/Gpu%20Error

Kristof

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: GPU Lockup Error

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video

Welcome to the forums.

Just curious; has this just started to happen in 12.10 and didn't happen in 12.04 LTS? If that is the case, was there a specific reason you upgraded to 12.10? 12.04 LTS is the current, stable long-term support release, supported until April 2017.

My rule of thumb is generally 'if it's not broke, don't fix it,' unless there is a very specific reason. Therefore I use the LTS releases for my day to day, stable, production install and install anything else I want to play with on another partition(s). That way I always have something rock solid and my playthings!

Good luck.

Beans

It happened only on 12.10. And I just updated to have the newest version, 12.04 was running beautiful. After the upgrade 12.10 also ran beautiful, it was only after I tried to connect an external screen that the errors came. The screen worked perfectly tho.

Kristof
    Last edited by volkskris; March 12th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Beans

12.04 Precise 3.5.0-26 generic 64 bit with Gnome classic on Zoostorm Style Note 8GB mem 500GB hd

Also now happening on 12.04 LTS
    Also started about 6 days ago after a routine update. (No I don't remember what was updated)
    Intel B980 Sandybridge GPU lockup.

There are several reports of this on launchpad all claiming to be solved but they are mostly dated over a year ago. This is a new problem. My apport report says not to submit to launchpad because Precise is not longer in development. But I think it is more to do with a recent update, I would guess to the video drivers. I have tried both going back to a previous version kernel and re-installing the xorg intel drivers but to no difference. Cunningly the error report cannot be copied and pasted (who though of that?) or I would paste it here.

If this has been solved please point me, this is the only thread relevant on my search result in here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rpaco View Post
    12.04 Precise 3.5.0-26 generic 64 bit with Gnome classic on Zoostorm Style Note 8GB mem 500GB hd

Also now happening on 12.04 LTS
    Also started about 6 days ago after a routine update. (No I don't remember what was updated)
    Intel B980 Sandybridge GPU lockup.

There are several reports of this on launchpad all claiming to be solved but they are mostly dated over a year ago. This is a new problem. My apport report says not to submit to launchpad because Precise is not longer in development. But I think it is more to do with a recent update, I would guess to the video drivers. I have tried both going back to a previous version kernel and re-installing the xorg intel drivers but to no difference. Cunningly the error report cannot be copied and pasted (who though of that?) or I would paste it here.

If this has been solved please point me, this is the only thread relevant on my search result in here.
    Please post a new thread regarding your issue rather than jumping on this one. Thanks.

Beans

OK, but Isn't this the same issue?