Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grdesktop file association

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

grdesktop file association

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 & am using grdesktop to RDP to various servers.
    To make life easier I have saved the configuration files, but if I double click on the files, they open in gedit. I would like to be able to associate these files with rdesktop, so that when I double click them they would run rdesktop & open the servers.
    I have tried Ubuntu tweak, but cannot see anyway to associate these files as I cannot see a file extension on them.
    I looked at assogiate, but couldn't make head nor tails of it.
    Why have they removed the abbility to add custom commands to associate a file in Gnome? It is stupid & short sighted.
    Please help. I love using Ubuntu at work & am not wanting to go back to Windows.
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: grdesktop file accosiation

Any ideas?
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

I take it that no one has a clue then. Glad it isn't just me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

First: Be patient. This is a volunteer forum. No one here gets paid for offering their help.
    [snip]
    As far as your problem, I don't really know of any way to associate an individual file with a program. File/program association typically is for file type (i.e., all files of a certain extension) not for individual files.
    Last edited by cortman; March 11th, 2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Removed statement about spell checkers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

We are a world-wide community of volunteers, here on our own time as we have the time.

It may be that the person with the best answer lives in Bangalore or Tunisia and is either at work, having dinner, playing with the children or talking to parents on the phone right now.

Please do not take the lack of an answer within an a few hours as a snub or an indication that nobody wants to help. It is simply a function of who is here when with a good answer.

If you would, please give the community some time to address your valid concern. The lack of an answer just means that the person with an answer has not seen your post. Wait to bump for 24 hours. An odd bump at 36 hours might catch someone who is on the other side of the world at a time when he or she is on the forum.

Thanks, and be patient. Someone will help.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: grdesktop file association

As I have been a member since 2007, I think I am aware that this is all done on a volunteer basis, so do not really appreciate the sarcasm that I felt in that message.
    With regard to the spelling, I was not using my usual machine that has a spell checker & my spelling is not good at the best of times as I am a bit dyslexic, so I do apologise for that at least.
    I know I will get an answer if someone knows the answer. The questions I ask are normally a bit above the average users knowledge & do not normally get answered.
    If this sounds ungrateful, it is not meant to as I know only too well how much time & energy goes in to these things, as I normally help anyone out & all for free. I do not expect an immediate answer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

hi
    i don't know if this a solution for you. i named my files which i want to execute with the ending xxxx.desktop. the contens of the file is:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Name=bash
    Comment=back to the roots
    Exec=/bin/bash
    Icon=/home/richi/desktop/face-cool.png
    Terminal=true
    Type=Application
    Categories=Utility;Application;

place your configurations in a folder and then you can double-klick on the file and the command: Exec will be executed
    cheers
    "What is the robbing of a bank compared to the FOUNDING of a bank?" Berthold Brecht

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kestrel1 View Post
    As I have been a member since 2007, I think I am aware that this is all done on a volunteer basis, so do not really appreciate the sarcasm that I felt in that message.
    With regard to the spelling, I was not using my usual machine that has a spell checker & my spelling is not good at the best of times as I am a bit dyslexic, so I do apologise for that at least.
    I know I will get an answer if someone knows the answer. The questions I ask are normally a bit above the average users knowledge & do not normally get answered.
    If this sounds ungrateful, it is not meant to as I know only too well how much time & energy goes in to these things, as I normally help anyone out & all for free. I do not expect an immediate answer.
    No offense meant; I apologize for sounding sarcastic. Too many people come here with an entitlement complex which they often show in bumping and re-bumping their thread, and while bumping is fine, forum rules recommend you wait at least 24 hours between bumps, whereas you bumped twice in about 8 hours.
    Good English can be tough but it helps to make posts clear and concise; I will amend my original recommendation.
    It appears rnerwein may have some helpful information for you in the post above.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Thanks rnerwein,
    I will have a look at this, but at present I am a bit confused by what you have said. It may become clearer when I get up in the morning. Having been at work all day & coming home to continue working I am getting a bit tired.
    I will get back to you on this.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    No offense meant; I apologize for sounding sarcastic. Too many people come here with an entitlement complex which they often show in bumping and re-bumping their thread, and while bumping is fine, forum rules recommend you wait at least 24 hours between bumps, whereas you bumped twice in about 8 hours.
    Good English can be tough but it helps to make posts clear and concise; I will amend my original recommendation.
    It appears rnerwein may have some helpful information for you in the post above.
    Hi Cortman,
    I am not one to take offence easily, maybe it is because I am tired
    I definitely do not come here with any sort of entitlement complex & I really appreciate everyone's time. Sorry for re-bumping & I will remember to be more patient. It may have been that it seemed like a long day
    I do normally try to use a spell checker, as my typing & spelling is often bad. I blame my teachers from many years ago They never used to pick up on dyslexia like they do now. I have only become aware of this, because I work in education & have recognised many things in myself that they now pick up on. Although for me it is very mild & would mostly be classed as dysgraphia.
    None of this is an excuse for bad English though.
    Thanks for keeping an eye on us all.
    Cheers
    Kestrel1
    A.K.A Glyn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast