Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laggy and Slow Test Run

Beans

Laggy and Slow Test Run

I Was searching for an alternatives to Windows XP on an older HP pavillion from 2003.
    I Downloaded the Lubuntu 12.04 Operating system because i heard it was a great light weight alternatives for older computers.
    I ran the installer, booted from the CD and it came up with the menu with 4-5 options. I selected Try Ubuntu. And it's incredibly slow Much slower then Windows XP, in fact magnitudes, Doesn't seem right memory useage is also a little more then i expected. Chromium web browser is literally unusable. Not sure what the issue is, task manager shows next to know CPU useage so i'm not sure if it's the computer or not. It works fine in the windows, i am just trying to find something that will use the littlest possible amount of ram so the computer can safetly be used for the purposes of Internet only, Such as email and facebook for a friend.

I believe it installed itself next to windows but everytime i start the computer their is no actual boot option asking me to select either or operating system.
    But inside Windows XP the Disk management shows a partition was created (witch i don't know how to get rid of lol).

im not sure if i did something wrong or not.

anybody have a recommendation for me (please don't trash a newbie lol)

Computer specs
    HP Pavillion a527x
    AMD Athlon 3000+ 2.10 Ghz
    (Windows XP Native 32-bit home)
    512MB DDR 266 (can support up to 2gbs)
    Don't know the video chip on board but it will play youtube videos
    120gb IDE hard drive don't know speeds.

Beans

Re: Laggy and Slow Test Run

So, did you try Ubuntu, or did you at some point select the Install Ubnuntu option?

Also, although Ubuntu will run on 512mb RAM, I'd suggest rather try Xubuntu. Will be much lighter.

Beans

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    No Actually I Tried Lubuntu.
    If their's a difference.

I'm just not noticing it to be any more efficient then XP in fact it's Slower. So i was just wondering if i did something wrong lol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you max out the RAM to 2GB you will have a decent experience. I have Linux Mint MATE 14 running on an older laptop (2004 vintage) and it runs acceptably well. I put 2GB in it, but I'm using the old hard drive.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Well ram was kind of hard to find that was compatible and a reasonable price.
    would 1GB be of a better experience? i ddid purchase another 512mb stick for 5 bucks just waiting for it to arive hopefully it works.
    if not, easily sellable.

I was just thinking if all else fails maybe their was an alternatives like a OS that do what i need this computer to do for someone off what it's got to work with.
    that and i'd rather they not have to deal with looming security threats.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gibson295 View Post
    I Was searching for an alternatives to Windows XP on an older HP pavillion from 2003.
    I Downloaded the Lubuntu 12.04 Operating system because i heard it was a great light weight alternatives for older computers.
    I ran the installer, booted from the CD and it came up with the menu with 4-5 options. I selected Try Ubuntu. And it's incredibly slow Much slower then Windows XP, in fact magnitudes,
    Oh ... you're running Lubuntu from CD?! So without 'swap' and on a low-memory computer? Yes, that must be dead-slow.

Install it (the installer will make a swap partition), and it should work. Your decade old computer seems to be according to the Lubuntu specs; see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu#System_Requirements

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    Oh ... you're running Lubuntu from CD?! So without 'swap' and on a low-memory computer? Yes, that must be dead-slow.
    This was my thoughts as well, make sure you install Lubuntu to disk, and then compare.

Running from CD has never been fast for any Distro except for distro's specifically made for Live CD's. (Puppy Linux for example)
    // Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

From various Installations I did on older machines i have to say you probably wont get to the speed of XP. XP due it is outdated and shouldn't be used since support is ending April 2014 is still the fastest and most convienient OS i used for Netbooks and comparable machines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by krustenBrot View Post
    From various Installations I did on older machines i have to say you probably wont get to the speed of XP. XP due it is outdated and shouldn't be used since support is ending April 2014 is still the fastest and most convienient OS i used for Netbooks and comparable machines.
    Bravo!

Indeed: if you have very old hardware, and a WinXP license, WinXP is great. That is ... until April 2014, when support really, really ends.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

1Gb of RAM and installed to the hard drive rather than running from CD will be a better experience. Much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast