Thread: seeking a command line wma tag editor

Beans

seeking a command line wma tag editor

I use vorbiscomment to put tags on ogg files. Is there a similar command line program to tag wma files? I tried exiftool, which looked promising, but it can only read wma tags. I can't find anything that's not gui.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: seeking a command line wma tag editor

Isn't .wma a Microsoft proprietary format? I doubt you'll find anything for it for GNU/Linux.

Beans

FFmpeg will tag wma files with the -metadata string=string option. Having said that there are several different different types of wma and I have not tested them all .
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cortman View Post
    Isn't .wma a Microsoft proprietary format? I doubt you'll find anything for it for GNU/Linux.
    Several of the gui tag editors claim they can work with wma files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    FFmpeg will tag wma files with the -metadata string=string option. Having said that there are several different different types of wma and I have not tested them all .
    I don't have FFmpeg on my computer. I'd rather use something a little less bulky, if such a program exists. I might end up trying FFmpeg eventually. Thanks.

Beans

As a test, I assigned some tags to a wma file using Winamp in Windows. The audio player I use in Ubuntu (Clementine) wasn't able to read them. I assigned more tags with Windows Media Player and Clementine still couldn't read them. So perhaps Clementine doesn't read wma tags since it's Windows proprietary. Or perhaps the tagging features within Winamp and Windows Media Player aren't universal.