Thread: Is Ubuntu 10.10 dead these days or what?

Beans

Is Ubuntu 10.10 dead these days or what?

As it says is Ubuntu 10.10 dead? I noticed a lot of "dead packages" that are no longer existent and a lot of posts confusing and misleading due to these "dead packages" it's becoming kinda frustrating.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Is Ubuntu 10.10 dead these days or what?

Hello!

Support for Maverick ended in April 2012. I would suggest installing a newer version.

However, if you wish to keep Maverick, the repos can still be found if you change your soures list to look like this:

Code:
    old-releases.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ CODENAME ...
    There will be no security updates there, which is why it would be best to install a newer version. I would recommend a clean install rather than going through the difficult process of upgrading from an unsupported version.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Oh thank you that pretty much answered my question.

Beans

Just for future reference: x.10 releases are LTS, Long Term Releases. These releases of Ubuntu will be supported for the 5 years following it's release. x.04 releases are regular releases, and will be supported only for 18 months. So when you upgrade, if you plan to use the same OS for a while, I'd recommend an LTS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Just for future reference: x.10 releases are LTS, Long Term Releases. These releases of Ubuntu will be supported for the 5 years following it's release. x.04 releases are regular releases, and will be supported only for 18 months. So when you upgrade, if you plan to use the same OS for a while, I'd recommend an LTS.
    This is not correct.

The LTS releases have been 6.06, 8.04, 10.04 and 12.04. The first three were supported for 3 years for the desktop version, 5 years for server version. 12.04 is supported for five years for both desktop and server.
    Last edited by QIII; March 12th, 2013 at 02:52 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    This is not correct.

The LTS releases have been 6.06, 8.04, 10.04 and 12.04. The first three were supported for 3 years for the desktop version, 5 years for server version. 12.04 is supported for five years for both desktop and server.
    For me, a quick note for when an LTS is released, I remember Even April. Meaning they are released in April of an even numbered year.
    This has been the case for all except one(6.06).
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful