Thread: Can't enable proprietary nVidia drivers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Can't enable proprietary nVidia drivers

Hello,

I've recently tried to install Steam to give gaming on Linux a shot. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 with MATE 1.4.2 with the Linux 3.5.0-25-generic kernel on an unmodified Samsung RC512. It has an interlaced Intel i7 2630QM clocked at 2.00 GHz, an nVidia GT 525M, and 6 GB of DDR3 RAM. The problem I've been running into is that I'm unable to enable third party nVidia drivers for my GT 525M. I've run:

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-settings
    to attempt to set up the proprietary drivers. Unfortunately, they don't show up in the, "Additional Drivers," section in Software Sources. When I attempt to start Steam and Marathon (which I've enabled all of the advanced options) in the terminal it returns the following:

Code:
    RC512:~$ steam
    Running Steam on ubuntu 12.10 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1361807486_client)
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1361807486_client)
    unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
    OpenGL GLX extension not supported by displayRC512
    Code:
    RC512:~$ steam steam
    Running Steam on ubuntu 12.10 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
    removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 3302 with name 0eBlobRegistryMutex_C77663B442E7EE0C79F501D8533673E5
    removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 3302 with name 0eBlobRegistrySignal_C77663B442E7EE0C79F501D8533673E5
    removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 3302 with name 0emSteamEngineInstance
    removing stale semaphore last operated on by process 3302 with name 0eSteamEngineLock
    OpenGL GLX extension not supported by displayRC512
    Code:
    RC512:~$ marathon
    Aleph One Linux 2012-01-28 1.0.1
    http://marathon.sourceforge.net/

Original code by Bungie Software <http://www.bungie.com/>
    Additional work by Loren Petrich, Chris Pruett, Rhys Hill et al.
    TCP/IP networking by Woody Zenfell
    Expat XML library by James Clark
    SDL port by Christian Bauer <Christian.Bauer@uni-mainz.de>

This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
    You are welcome to redistribute it under certain conditions.
    For details, see the file COPYING.

Built with network play enabled.

Built with Lua scripting enabled.
    Can't open video display (Couldn't find matching GLX visual)
    WARNING: Failed to initialize OpenGL with 24 bit colour
    WARNING: Retrying with 16 bit colour
    Can't open video display (Couldn't find matching GLX visual)
    I hope someone can help me figure out how to enable the proprietary nVidia drivers which support OpenGL and 3D. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Number3124; March 12th, 2013 at 06:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't enable proprietary nVidia drivers

Have you tried installing the driver manually from http://www.nvidia.co.uk/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-uk ?

1. Download the driver
    2. CTRL-ALT+F3 to drop to a command line. Print this post, or have another pc running with it, because you wont be able to switch back before the driver is installed again.
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm stop
    The above stops your current graphical session, allowing you to install the blob
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
    The above gets rid of all the nvidia-stuff you've installed so far
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
    The above installs the necessary components to run the blob succesfully
    6. Change directory to the place where you downloaded the driver to, usually /home/yourname/Downloads or just /home/yourname/ ("cd" and "ls" are your friends here)
    7. Run
    Code:
    chmod -x NameOfTheDriverYouDownloaded
    The above makes it executable. Remember if you write part of the name correctly and press TAB it'll autocomplete the name.
    8. Run
    Code:
    ./NameOfTheDriverYouDownloaded
    The above will run it
    9. Follow the onscreen instructions, say yes/accept to everything EXCEPT the part mentioning KMS, it doesn't work and may bork your system, so say no to that part. It concerns auto-updating the driver when you update your kernel, so you'll have to do this all over again if you upgrade the kernel, which is a good reason to always have your nvidia-driver downloaded (in case you forget it, upgrade the kernel and reboot into a commandprompt).
    10. After it's done do:
    Code:
    sudo service lightdm start
    and you're rolling, probably in a strange resolution but that can be changed.

I saw a script for all this somewhere, but can't remember where I found it :-/
    Again, it's a VERY healthy excercise to memorize this procedure. Kernel-upgrades WILL happen, and you'll be stuck at the commandprompt. So ALWAYS keep an Nvidia-driver in some folder you know how to get to with the CLI.

NB. if someone has a workaround for the KMS-thing I'd be interested
    Last edited by ZarathustraDK; March 12th, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal