Thread: Support for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04

Beans

Support for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04

Hello,

Support for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04 ends in april of this year. This means that they will definitely provide security updates for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04 till april of this year, right? I was wondering, what happens if someone over at Canonical thinks, "What the heck? Just a few weeks left. Why should I bother with providing security updates for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04 with such a short period of time remaining till the release end of life?"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Support for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04

Quote Originally Posted by jsvidyad View Post
    Hello,

Support for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04 ends in april of this year. This means that they will definitely provide security updates for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04 till april of this year, right? I was wondering, what happens if someone over at Canonical thinks, "What the heck? Just a few weeks left. Why should I bother with providing security updates for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04 with such a short period of time remaining till the release end of life?"
    They get fired. Maintaining security updates is important for their paying customers.

However if you are worried about security updates, upgrade to 12.04 LTS.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Hello,

I will upgrade to ubuntu 12.04 soon. But, they will definitely provide security updates for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04 till the end of life date in April 2013, right? I was just worried about someone or maybe canonical itself slacking off in this matter just because the end of life date was so near.

Beans

Can someone please help me here?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

3rdalbum answered your question, if you need more info I suggest you contact Canonical directly. http://www.canonical.com/about-canonical/contact

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I am resisting the temptation to say that all support has been withdrawn due to all the insults that Mark Shuttleworth has received over the last two years. So, I will not say that.

Look here. Scroll down the page until you see this

Updates and Security for 8.04, 10.04, 11.10, 12.04 and 12.10

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2117892

Support was promised for 8.04 server edition for five years. That promise is being kept. What basis do you have for thinking that the good folks at Canonical and all the good folk who are Ubuntu Community volunteers are not professional in their application to the tasks they do?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Hello,

I didn't mean to cause any offence. But, in the country I am from(which shall remain un-named), it would not be too surprising if a company or atleast some of its employees slacked off in such a situation. Anyway, it is reassuring to know that Canonical will definitely provide support and updates for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04 till April of this year. By the way, does the support end at the beginning of April? Does anyone know the definite last date till which Canonical will provide support and updates for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

There is no specific day listed for end of support. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

So, the last date for support and updates for ubuntu/kubuntu 10.04 could be any day in April 2013?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

13.04 is due for release on 4-25 and by looking at past history that may be close. 10.04 was released on the 4-29-10 and the other releases seem to end life almost on the same day of initial release.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors