Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: install ubuntu on own partion with logical drive?

Beans

Re: install ubuntu on own partion with logical drive?

OK NM I think I got it, Im gonna try it,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What do you mean you don't have mount point? For the swap partition, there is no mount point. It is used automatically because it knows it's swap when you select Use As: swap area.

As for the main system partition, the root partition, when creating it select the mount point: / and that will tell the system to use the partition as root mount point.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

It's been a few days and I dont want to leave the thread where it was so here it is,
    The whole seperate partition thing did not work for me. I think because during the initial installation I may have made my swap file a primary partition and since I already had 3. it just added up wrong. ??
    Couldn;t even boot windows after that , it said HAL.dll was missing. (not)
    Oh well, luckily I was able to use an old xp home (only disk that worked!) go in and delete all the linux partitions and was back where I started , logged into windows no problem.
    Got gparted and with a little trying and luck was able to add the 'unpartitioned space' to my 'D' primary (my c is a seperate fat 32 for windows swap, and yes it does help with gaming),
    SO then I saw the 'ubuntu 12.10 version windows installer' and it installed just fine , except there is a problem with NO WIRELESS. seems that the' Dell Wireless 1350 WLAN mini pci card US ' on the computer , inspiron 9100 was not recognized. I
    found some terminal commands and got it working but it keeps cutting out intermittently and is a bit slow.
    the commands were:

sudo apt-get remove bcmwl-kernel-source

sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer

and they were found here: http://blog.tech4him.com/broadcom-wi...-04-and-11-10/

Anyway that's where Im at now , with the b43.xx drivers installed, working but intermittent and slow speed.

I will probably start another thread in the networking and wireless section, I already looked for a solution and found many but not specific, I will take another look. This computer is for my niece (15 yrs) and needs to have a backup OS so I will be able to repair windows when convenient as opposed to an emergency.

Im not sure how to mark this thread. I can't find the 'solved' or 'closed' button. would someone please point me to it and advise how to mark it?
    Thank You all!
    Last edited by userqq; March 22nd, 2013 at 09:58 PM. Reason: grammar, add thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Glad you found a way. Once you learn Ubuntu you may want to try the full partitioned install.

See my signature. With upgrade to new forum the old solved method has to be recreated and we have a temp workaround.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12