Thread: Using Acer Easystore with Ubuntu... can't do remote desktop...

Beans

Using Acer Easystore with Ubuntu... can't do remote desktop...

Hello,

I recently decided to ditch the provided Windows Server 2003 from an Acer EasyStore machine. Because the machine is headless, I had to take the hard drive out of it and pop it into another unit in order to install Ubuntu.

In it's current state, I am able to access shared folders and move files around without a hitch. That part is working great! The problem I'm having is that I'm unable to connect to the machine like I was with Windows Server. I keep getting an error message that tells me remote desktop can't connect. Again, I'm able to access the shared folders and files just fine, but I can't seem to get onto the system itself through remote connection.

I enabled Desktop Sharing in Ubuntu. What else have I missed here? Can this even be done?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Christopher

Beans
    Distro
    Mythbuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Using Acer Easystore with Ubuntu... can't do remote desktop...

Not a guru here but I found this http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/05/...emote-desktop/ hope it helps
    I muddled sometimes get my words up

Beans
    Distro
    Mythbuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by cpap01 View Post
    Hello,
    I enabled Desktop Sharing in Ubuntu. What else have I missed here? Can this even be done?
    Has Ubuntu actually logged in a user that is sharing thier desktop. ie Its probabbly just sitting there waiting for you to login before its got a Desktop to share unless you have it set to login automatically.
    I muddled sometimes get my words up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Ubuntu works well as a headless server, but you must configure it with either Samba or NFS. The best version to install is the non-GUI server version. If you need a GUI, then installing one on top of the server version is easier than installing a Desktop version and then trying to change it into a server. Reason: server version comes preconfigured with apps for server. Both images and install instructions are here. After you have installed the DE of your choice, you can simply further download the remote desktop app of your choice from the repos as well.

Beans

Also it is possible to manage your server easily with Webmin (www.webmin.com). And for commandline instructions I use PuTTY.