Thread: Ms is dropping DirectSound for OpenAL

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Ms is discontinuing DirectSound (for OpenAL)

What consequenses does this have for gaming on Linux???

http://www.openal.org/openal_vista.html
    Last edited by trommas; September 19th, 2006 at 01:59 PM.
    Aaaahh... There's nothing like a good patch in the morning!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Ms is dropping DirectSound for OpenAL

MS is not dropping DirectSound for OpenAL...It just ceased to develop hardware accellerated Direct Sound.

Unfortunately, I believe the hardest part of game porting is not from DirectSound to OpenAL but from DirectX to OpenGL...

Beans

It would be a great step for Ms to use OpenAL, would make porting easier, a bit, im sure.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I'm thinking here.

- The directx collection/library is one of the major obstacles in running games on linux. Game developers use directx for games, thus porting is difficult.

- The Wine and Cedega are working to "make linux understand directx games" (Said in a stupid way, I know...).

- Now, MS is discontinuing development on a couple of the components in the directx library, choosing an open alternative.

Doesn't this translate into less work for Wine in "making linux understand" directx based games???

Ofcourse, games developed to work directly on linux would be the best thing.
    Aaaahh... There's nothing like a good patch in the morning!

Beans

Let me clarify something. I read the article, and nowhere does it state that MS are dropping DirectSound in favor of OpenAL. It states that MS are dropping DirectSound. Then, this being the OpenAL site, they are quick to remark the niche that opens for them.
    I am quite certain that Creative or somebody else will come out with their own proprietary thing, because corporations can't stand things with "Open" in their name.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So, what's Microsoft's plan here? If they drop hardware acceleration for DirectSound, that moves it to the CPU, which is probably already the bottleneck (assuming a decent graphics card). This results in a lower framerate.

Gamers are going to upgrade to Vista and get a lower frame rate?
    Are you Listening?
    Are you a Hero?
    Are you Sleeping?

Beans

Of course. The bit about DirectSound is surprising, but even if it is not true, Vista puts extreme demands on hardware. With Windows being a monolithic PoS, Vista games can't help but run all of Vista underneath. So yes, every Windows version by design is slower than previous ones, and consequently slows down everything else.

Beans

I love old threads, lets fast forward to 2013 now, at this point see what we have now? Directsound still a big yes, ASIO is in the mix for audio developers, (dont get me started about WDM and the new stuff thats around now... and the like) and wine does do ASIO pretty good, and now from my standpoint it looks like microsoft is trying to shove all these new technologies down peoples throat, i for one am sick of it as a veteran windows user since version 1, i can say this. Windows 8 was enough of a shove to put me to linux for good, and ubuntu is going in the right direction, fast... if game developers keep up (like steam) and put their nose to the grindstone for linux, you'll see less need for wine down the road at all, I am noticing ALOT more regular desktop users running linux these days, back in 2006 this was unheard of... i never could go to somebody's house who just has a computer for just leisurely activities and see them running ubuntu... but now i do, more and more... linux is making the shift, slow yes, but it IS happening... i just hope I live to see the day microsoft humiliates themselves and the whole world catches them with their pants down... muahaha!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thread closed.