Thread: Wireless WPA/WPA2 Personal not connecting

Hybrid View

Beans

Wireless WPA/WPA2 Personal not connecting

I'm running Kubuntu 13.04 Alpha 2 (with all updates applied) on a Dell Latitude which has a Broadcom BCM4313 Wireless LAN controller. I am able to connect to unsecured WiFi connections with no problem, but not to my Belkin wireless router which is configured for WPA/WPA2 Personal wireless security. However, just before I installed 13.04, I was running 12.10 and was able to connect to this same network with no problem, using the same key, which has not been changed. I am wondering whether anyone else has run into a problem like this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wireless WPA/WPA2 Personal not connecting

What driver are you using?

Beans

It was using the proprietary Broadcom driver. When I removed that driver, it connected.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zerubbabel View Post
    It was using the proprietary Broadcom driver. When I removed that driver, it connected.
    There are several proprietary Broadcom drivers, I used bcmwl-kernel-source, on my netbook with a BCM4312 chipset, this is the same driver that is listed for your chipset. If you have the media you installed from, you can install the driver without a working network connection. You need to install dkms and fakeroot before you install the driver, they are located in pool/main/d/dkms and pool/main/f/fakeroot. To install them, in a terminal:

Code:
    cd /pool/main/d/dkms
    then

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *deb
    for fakeroot:

Code:
    cd /pool/main/f/fakeroot
    then

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *deb
    after the above two packages have installed successfully:

Code:
    cd /pool/restricted/b/bcmwl
    then

Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *deb
    reboot, and when you are back at the desktop, you should have a reliably working wifi connection

Beans

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions, but I'm just wondering, since the generic driver works after disabling the previously installed Broadcom driver, what advantage is there in installing a different proprietary Broadcom driver?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If it works, don't do anything. during previous development cycles we found that some of the chipsets (BCM4311, BCM4312 and BCM4313) use the wl driver, and others used the b43 driver, depending on the version. We really didn't try to track version numbers, as we just wanted to get every one working properly, and since then it really hasn't been much of an issue, so it wasn't pursued any further.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

My experience is the same: Don't use the proprietary BCM driver. The default (open-sourced?) drivers works just fine.