Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best games on ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Best games on ubuntu

I wanted to ask, what are best games on Ubuntu? (My favourite now is Worlf of Goo) But I can not find any good games, there arent any lists on the internet and games from Ubuntu Software Center are terrible..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Best games on ubuntu

http://www.lgdb.org/ is a good inspiration source

EDIT: Oh, and there's STEAM for Linux too

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you for the link
    And there are not many games on Linux Steam..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

There is one called Cube 2 that is pretty good. You can go though the Software Manager and scroll the game section.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Cool Re: Best games on ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ViliX64 View Post
    Thank you for the link
    And there are not many games on Linux Steam..
    No, there are not a lot of Linux games on Steam. Yet. The fact that a major developer like Paradox ported their excellent Crusader Kings 2 for Linux on Steam was a big deal. It has been shown for the last couple of years, mostly through the Humble Bundles, that Linux users are hungry for games. Linux users, just since Steam made their client public, account for 2% of Steam users. Mac users comprise about 3%, after two years of Mac games being available on Steam (fortifying game developers' view that Mac users are just not that in to gaming). This is not escaping the eye of developers who see an unfulfilled market (Linux gamers) that is willing to buy closed-source games if they are good enough.

I have already bought Kickstarter games Project Eternity, Planetary Annihilation, Wasteland 2, War for the Overworld, and another couple I can't remember offhand. All are coming out with Linux versions. Sometime this year or next, I'll see the games I helped fund that way.

While most of the games for Steam Linux are from various Humble Bundles, there have been others that are unique to Steam (Unity of Command, The Book of Unwritten Tales) that are certainly major games.

The main thing I want to say to eager-to-game Linux users is to be patient. Look at all that has happened in the last six months. This is not a conclusion to a process. This is a beginning.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There are currently 100 Linux games available on Steam, I wouldn't call that not many.

I've just noticed that Half-Life is now available, I'll be a happy bunny when Half-Life 2 is available in the next week or two it's one of my favourite games of all time.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Y'all are neglecting one of the greatest, deepest, most addictive games ever written, originally for UNIX, but ported to every other platform on earth:

nethack!

I say again, nethack!!

You will become addicted. You only need to know two commands when you start: ? (for help) and / (for identification of objects).

If you want spoilers, there is nethackwiki.com, but some regard that as cheating. I so cheat. I still haven't won, in spite of many years of trying, off and on.

Oh, also: I recommend the console interface. You can immediately see the difference between a gnome lord and a gnome king, as long as you're not color blind. And you use a terminal emulator with a black background and normal UNIX colors, like konsole or lxterm or terminator.
    Last edited by arkanabar; March 10th, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
    When you make laws to control foolish others, you forge the chains that will be used to control you.
    My blog
    my pre-blog website

Beans

I love World of Goo too, without it, my top 5:

Braid Manipulate the flow of time to solve puzzles.
    Closure In the dark and mysterious world of Closure, only what you see exists.
    LIMBO Uncertain of his sister's fate, a boy enters LIMBO...
    Machinarium Point and click adventure game by Amanita Design.
    Torchlight Word of Ember blazed across the land, and the town of Torchlight flared to life.

If you have obtained some games from latest https://www.humblebundle.com/ you can get it in the Ubuntu Software Center. Now Humble Bundle with Android 5!!

Beans

I think that Alien Arena and Open Arena are two great games available in the Software Center, if you're a fan of Quake and Unreal Tournament.
    The Super Mario- and Worms clones are quite entertaining too.
    And there's Steam.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

battle for Wesnoth (in software center) is quite good strategy game if you are into this sort of things.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast