Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best games on ubuntu

Beans

Re: Best games on ubuntu

RTS / Giant Strategy games aren't usually my thing, but I understand that 0 AD is highly rated.

Incidentally, we could make better suggestions if you could let us know what you think makes a good game, and what's actually wrong with the games you've found & tried in the software center. The ONLY thing we know about your tastes are that you like World of Goo.
    When you make laws to control foolish others, you forge the chains that will be used to control you.
    My blog
    my pre-blog website

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ximaceo View Post
    Braid Manipulate the flow of time to solve puzzles.
    Closure In the dark and mysterious world of Closure, only what you see exists.
    LIMBO Uncertain of his sister's fate, a boy enters LIMBO...
    Machinarium Point and click adventure game by Amanita Design.
    Torchlight Word of Ember blazed across the land, and the town of Torchlight flared to life.
    These are wonderful games, though I haven't played Torchlight due to a graphical bug that makes the character models invisible.

For more twitchy platformers, I've been loving Super Meat Boy (no longer available for Linux??) and Dustforce.

My favourite roguelike is Crawl.

Beans

There is also Supertux, Rochard ($10), Tuxkart, Warmux as great originals. There are also emulators for roms like mupen64plus and mednafen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Cool Re: Best games on ubuntu

I do have to add a few of my favorites, even though some names have already been posted:

Battle for Wesnoth (free and in the repositories)
    Warzone 2100 (ditto)
    FreeCiv, FreeCol (ditto)

My favorite commercial games:
    Dominions 3 (Desura, $29.95--a steal)
    Torchlight (despite a very minor glitch, Steam)
    Crusaders 2 (Steam)
    Unity of Command (Steam)
    Half-Life (!) (Steam)

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

All great stuff!

ByTheWay..
    Conquest of Elysium 3 on Desura, GamersGate, Steam for $9.99 (sometimes on sale for as little as $2.50)
    Its by Illwinter, the same people as do Dominions 3 but its much smaller and faster and more Solo play than Dom3.

Also worth noting here is that Illwinter does not port its games to Ubuntu. These are Ubuntu games developed on Ubuntu and then ported over for the Windows and Mac people. Its easy to see with the pages of switches the games have that seem to just confuse the windowsy people. Oh yeah, and both games give you the ability to run the multiplayer server version in text mode for low cpu and easy to build webpages around.

Beans

I forgot this masterpieces ^^

Bastion Discover the secrets of the Calamity.
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
    Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is an exploratory action adventure with an emphasis on audiovisual style.

Quote Originally Posted by Am Elder View Post
    I haven't played Torchlight due to a graphical bug that makes the character models invisible.
    Only the head is invisible when you wear the helmet.
    For more twitchy platformers, I've been loving Super Meat Boy (no longer available for Linux??) and Dustforce.
    SMB is awesome, but only in Humble Bundle. Team Meat had problem with Canonical.
    I wanna play Dustforce, I hope come to Steam for Linux soon. O.S.T. is made by Terence Lee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ximaceo View Post
    I wanna play Dustforce, I hope come to Steam for Linux soon. O.S.T. is made by Terence Lee.
    It's a fun game.

Not to hijack the thread, but why do you prefer Steam?

I don't know steam well. I've downloaded the client, but prefer the Humble Store, for games on both. Matter of personal preference based on the lack of DRM, a less intrusive download system (can download for Windows on Linux, if I want), better privacy policy, and a longer history supporting Linux, and the fact that it's a better deal for the devs. And the Humble Store distributes Steam keys, though perhaps (haven't tried it) if the game isn't on Steam for Linux, you can't access it for Linux on Steam?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Amnesia: The Dark Descent and its upcoming sequel, Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs have native support for Linux. Fantastic games, though I must admit that I played The Dark Descent on Win7 as I had yet to configure my nVidia drivers on Ubuntu.

Beans

Not to hijack the thread, but why do you prefer Steam?
    I don't know steam well. I've downloaded the client, but prefer the Humble Store, for games on both. Matter of personal preference based on the lack of DRM, a less intrusive download system (can download for Windows on Linux, if I want), better privacy policy, and a longer history supporting Linux, and the fact that it's a better deal for the devs. And the Humble Store distributes Steam keys, though perhaps (haven't tried it) if the game isn't on Steam for Linux, you can't access it for Linux on Steam?
    I'm 1 month on Ubuntu and 7 years on Steam, I prefer for:
    - Automatic game updates.
    - SteamCloud: savegames are in the cloud.
    - Archievements: help me with re-plays.
    - Talk with friends.
    - Very good deals.
    And the Humble Store distributes Steam keys, though perhaps (haven't tried it) if the game isn't on Steam for Linux, you can't access it for Linux on Steam?
    The game must be done for "Steam on Linux" to run. I have 77 games on Steam and only 16 games works on Steam for Linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I too have disliked most of the free games I've tried from the Ubuntu repos.. for the most part they seem like B-rate games from the 90's.

Go and get the latest Humble Indie Bundle! https://www.humblebundle.com/
    Best $7 bucks I've spent on games in a long time. There are 10 games in all, and each one has a native linux client. I especially liked Dungeon Defenders, Splice, and Solar2. The games come as downloadable files or Steam keys.

I'm glad to see Linux getting some exposure on Steam, but personally I've never liked Steam much. If you read the fine print, you don't actually own any of the games you buy! It's a "service" your paying for, and Valve can decide to discontinue it (or ban you for no reason) whenever they want. If you want to play a game on steam.. buy the game direct from the publisher and see if they provide a steam key with your purchase.
    Last edited by dave2001; March 14th, 2013 at 03:41 AM.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast