Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not sure if this is an Issue - what version am I running?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not sure if this is an Issue - what version am I running?

I did a clean install of 13.04 about a month ago and all is OK - I do the updates when the update windows pops up. (This is a new machine and for some reason 12.04/12.10 did not like the graphics (on board intel chipset)). I was under pressure from my wife to 'get her pc back' so tried 13.04 - it went like a dream and although I knew it was not official it has run like a dream. (Mainly used for email/surfing/libreoffice). Pic1 shows indeed that it is 13.04 - however, today a System Reporting window popped up and indicated that this is a 12.10 machine - see pic 2. I put this down to 13.04 no yet being official - I take it that this is not an issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Not sure if this is an Issue - what version am I running?

There are many different ways of determining versions.

Here's what I would use (from CLI)...

Code:
    echo && echo -n "Distro Release: " && lsb_release -sd && echo -n "Kernel Release: " || cat /etc/*release && uname -s -r && echo -n "Gnome Release: " && gnome-shell --version && echo -n "Unity Release: " && unity --version && echo && /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p -f && echo

As long as it looks similar to this, everything should be okay.

Code:
    vindsl@Zuul:~$ echo && echo -n "Distro Release: " && lsb_release -sd && echo -n "Kernel Release: " || cat /etc/*release && uname -s -r && echo -n "Gnome Release: " && gnome-shell --version && echo -n "Unity Release: " && unity --version && echo && /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p -f && echo

Distro Release: Ubuntu Raring Ringtail (development branch)
    Kernel Release: Linux 3.9.0-030900rc1-generic
    Gnome Release: GNOME Shell 3.7.91
    Unity Release: unity 6.6.0

OpenGL vendor string:   NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 7600 GT/AGP/SSE2
    OpenGL version string:  2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.84

Not software rendered:    yes
    Not blacklisted:          yes
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       yes

vindsl@Zuul:~$
    Last edited by VinDSL; March 10th, 2013 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Addendum
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

You could also try
    Code:
    lsb_release -a
    You should get something like this.
    No LSB modules are available.Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu Raring Ringtail (development branch)
    Release: 13.04
    Codename: raring
    Remember, at the present time all new releases are built upon the code from the last release. So, the Raring development branch code started out as Quantal (12.10) code. In fact for many weeks every label we saw said "12.10". I am wondering if the USB printer library that caused the crash is still a 12.10 library and that is why Apport is reporting 12.10 as having crashed. I have not seen a crash message for a few days. But I think that Apport is reporting 13.04 on my machine when it does put out a crash message.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Interesting. The first command gave me:

Distro Release: Ubuntu 12.10
    Kernel Release: Linux 3.5.0-24-generic
    Gnome Release: GNOME Shell 3.6.2
    Unity Release: unity 6.12.0

The 2nd command from Graham gives me:

LSB Version: core-2.0-amd64:core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-amd64:core-3.0-noarch:core-3.1-amd64:core-3.1-noarch:core-3.2-amd64:core-3.2-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 12.10
    Release: 12.10
    Codename: quantal

I just looked at About this Computer and it tells me 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Now that is most weird. And unexplainable. Even a month old ISO image should have had the kernel 3.7 if not 3.8. Updates should have brought all that in. My present Raring install started out as a 12.10 install and it is quiet clearly 13.04.

You could try opening what should be called Software and Updates but might be called Software Sources on your System and check that the repositories are actually Raring and that you have all of them ticked.

Oh, It is not an issue if the OS is working as you want it to work.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 11th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkrad View Post
    Interesting. The first command gave me:

Distro Release: Ubuntu 12.10
    Kernel Release: Linux 3.5.0-24-generic
    Unity Release: unity 6.12.0

I just looked at About this Computer and it tells me 13.04
    That's what you'd expect to see in 12.10, if this was an upgrade vs. fresh install then could be just some info wierdness
    (other than the kernel version

this would tell you what unity is installed, should be a daily (currently 6.12.0daily13.03.11-0ubuntu1
    Code:
    apt-cache policy unity
    If this is an upgrade & you upped with & now have raring-proposed enabled you may have not gotten the 3.8.x kernel as it wasn't complete package wise yet. (should be complete now, latest avail. here is 3.8.0.12.26 from -proposed

Beans
    Distro

liz@lizubuntu:~$ apt-cache policy unity
    unity:
    Installed: 6.12.0-0ubuntu0.2
    Candidate: 6.12.0-0ubuntu0.2
    Version table:
    *** 6.12.0-0ubuntu0.2 0
    500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/main amd64 Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    6.8.0-0ubuntu2 0
    500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages

OK I think I've sorted it following Graham's post. Everything in the sources lists in the software Centre settings refer to quantal - so although I did a clean install of 13.04 I guess this is a sort of quantal machine. I am a bit of a newbie - not sure why I have no Raring entries. As this is my wifes machine and is running OK I do not know what to do. Try and sort out/change the quantal entries to Raring or leave it. Post April 2013 what sort of Ubuntu machine will this be (?) 13.04 or stay as it seems at the moment, 13.04 but with quantal repostories?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

There is a command that will simply change the repositories from Quantal to Raring. We use it when we want to start testing the next Ubuntu release under development. I used it to create the Raring install that I am using right now.

Code:
    sudo sed -i 's/quantal/raring/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
    followed by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    That should bring the repositories in line. Otherwise, I suggest that you wait until May 2013 and upgrade to 13.04. If you set Software Sources to notify you of the next version of Ubuntu, then you will get notified when 13.04 is officially released. Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quarkrad View Post

OK I think I've sorted it following Graham's post. Everything in the sources lists in the software Centre settings refer to quantal - so although I did a clean install of 13.04 I guess this is a sort of quantal machine. I am a bit of a newbie - not sure why I have no Raring entries. As this is my wifes machine and is running OK I do not know what to do. Try and sort out/change the quantal entries to Raring or leave it. Post April 2013 what sort of Ubuntu machine will this be (?) 13.04 or stay as it seems at the moment, 13.04 but with quantal repostories?
    While doing a sources.list upgrade now might work out ok I probably wouldn't so do unless prepared to do fresh install of 13.04 in case it goes south if all is working ok for your wife's uses. (& hopefully with better results then last time, however you went about that??

The only package you've posted about to date that appears to be raring is shown via the 'Details' window, otherwise unity, kernel, hplip-data are all quantal. How you got a raring gnome-control-center version & what, if any, other raring packages is quite unknown.

Would be curious about this - 13.04 was added to Details (gnome-info-panel), in 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu8 (Nov. 26), current is 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu13
    Code:
    apt-cache policy gnome-control-center
    Last edited by mc4man; March 11th, 2013 at 10:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro

The output of the command is:

liz@lizubuntu:~$ apt-cache policy gnome-control-center
    gnome-control-center:
    Installed: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu11~ubuntu12.10.1
    Candidate: 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu11~ubuntu12.10.1
    Version table:
    *** 1:3.6.3-0ubuntu11~ubuntu12.10.1 0
    500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/gnome3-team/gnome3/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    1:3.4.2-0ubuntu19.1 0
    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-proposed/main amd64 Packages
    1:3.4.2-0ubuntu19 0
    500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages

I don't know how I got these quantal updates with a clean install of 13.04 but as the machine is working OK I will take your advice and leave it until May and do a clean install. Thank you both for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast