Thread: Need a plugin to stack panel window buttons for open windows of the same application

Beans

Question Need a plugin to stack panel window buttons for open windows of the same application

Is such software available for Xfce? Windows has had it since XP, and at work it has made all the difference in preserving my sanity. I frequently find myself forced to work with multiple windows of GIMP, multiple windows of Excel, and no fewer file manager windows, and it's that much easier when they never get squeezed so tight that the text can't be read. Stacked window buttons can be selected methodically, without the guesswork. Please tell me that software developers (of all people) understand this!
    Last edited by gotnexusbluz; March 13th, 2013 at 05:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Need a plugin to stack panel window buttons for open windows of the same applicat

Not a plugin. It's a standard feature. Right-click on the Window Buttons widget on your panel, then click Properties on the drop-down menu, and select "Window grouping: always".

If you have trouble finding exacly where to click to get the Properties menu, you can also right-click anyplace on the panel, then click Panel/Panel Preferences/Items/Window buttons/edit (the gear icon on the right side of the menu).

Beans

Re: Need a plugin to stack panel window buttons for open windows of the same applicat

Quote Originally Posted by r.stiltskin View Post
    Not a plugin. It's a standard feature. Right-click on the Window Buttons widget on your panel, then click Properties on the drop-down menu, and select "Window grouping: always". If you have trouble finding exacly where to click to get the Properties menu, you can also right-click anyplace on the panel, then click Panel/Panel Preferences/Items/Window buttons/edit (the gear icon on the right side of the menu).
    Thanks! Can't imagine why this setting isn't the default, but choice is good.