Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: update-grub syntax error

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: update-grub syntax error

The issue still is grub is leaving off the ending quote and the slackware resume line. I think it is a bug in grub2's os-prober.
    Probably easiest to just copy all entries from os-prober into 40_custom, add the missing quote and turn off os-prober.

But it looks like you are using the same swap for resume of two different slackware and as swap for another install. If you happen to use all three someone will not have the correct data in swap.

/dev/sda1 9a4b8b62-9163-4d61-b9af-4d4c75e29fee swap
    /dev/sda2 0a2ebb07-8b93-4938-9bee-7eca19168eee ext4
    /dev/sda5 3ADE0DB5DE0D6A89 ntfs RAZIEL
    /dev/sdb1 149ac71c-7444-48aa-bc0c-9fb07bccf74c ext4
    /dev/sdb2 4CE4692BE469190A ntfs TERESA
    /dev/sdc1 20FEB393FEB36028 ntfs OBORO
    /dev/sdc2 88BCE378BCE35F66 ntfs TANABE
    /dev/sdd1 340d8335-6690-46fd-8b73-26f68cfb317d ext4

sda2 lilo
    append = "resume=UUID=9a4b8b62-9163-4d61-b9af-4d4c75e29fee"
    #root = /dev/sda2
    root = "UUID=0a2ebb07-8b93-4938-9bee-7eca19168eee"
    label = Slackware_13.37

sdd1 lilo
    append = "resume=UUID=9a4b8b62-9163-4d61-b9af-4d4c75e29fee"
    #root = /dev/sdd1
    root = "UUID=340d8335-6690-46fd-8b73-26f68cfb317d"
    label = Slackware_14

sdf1 fstab
    UUID=9a4b8b62-9163-4d61-b9af-4d4c75e29fee none swap sw 0 0

It helps to label all partitions.

bug reports info on how to do:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
    https://launchpad.net/ubuntu
    I did not see a bug with slackware in search.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/os-prober
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    The issue still is grub is leaving off the ending quote and the slackware resume line. I think it is a bug in grub2's os-prober.
    Probably easiest to just copy all entries from os-prober into 40_custom, add the missing quote and turn off os-prober.
    You mean copy all entries, ok - but there is one problem. I don't know if i understand it well - you mean copy entries from 30_os-prober to 40_custom, right? Could you also show me, post where are places where quotes are missing? I checked it few times with other entries and for me they all look the same.

If i disable os-probler, will i have during update-grub all entries being detected?

But it looks like you are using the same swap for resume of two different slackware and as swap for another install. If you happen to use all three someone will not have the correct data in swap.
    Not a problem - it is my machine, only i use it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by firekage View Post
    you mean copy entries from 30_os-prober to 40_custom, right? Could you also show me, post where are places where quotes are missing?
    No, oldfred means basically an equivalent to what the sed script I suggested above does: copy the entries from /boot/grub/grub.cfg that were generated by /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober to /etc/grub.d/40_custom. Those are all the lines between
    Code:
    ### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    and
    Code:
    ### END /etc/grub.d/30_os-prober ###
    With the difference that in my script, instead of being copied to 40_custom, they were written into /boot/grub/custom.cfg that gets included by /etc/grub.d/41_custom. This way, after disabling os-prober in /etc/default/grub you will still retain all the entries in the boot menu. However, these entries won't get updated anymore when something in in your boot configuration changes. E.g. if you install a new kernel in Ubuntu 12.04LTS, the GRUB from Ubuntu 12.10 won't see it.
    Last edited by schragge; March 17th, 2013 at 09:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It looks like the ending double quote is missing from both of the resume lines from the two versions of slackware. Both are near end of grub's os-prober entries. They are showing in slackware so it is grub2's os-prober that is causing the issue.

"resume=UUID=9a4b8b62-9163-4d61-b9af-4d4c75e29fee"

Running sudo update-grub will update Linux kernels in the version you boot from, but none of the entries from other installs will be updated. Normally you have to go into all your other installs with changes & then your main install will find the new versions. Before os-prober we often had to manually update, so many of us used chain loading. Since lilo uses the entry in the PBR of the syslinux install you can simplify the boot entry to a chain load entry like Windows.

# Chainload another bootloader
    menuentry "Chainload partition 2" {
    set root=(hd1,2)
    chainloader +1
    }

menuentry " " {
    set root=
    }

menuentry "Boot sda's MBR (When from sdb) Chainboot" {
    set root=(hd1)
    chainloader +1
    }

menuentry "Boot sdb (from sdc) Chainboot" {
    set root=(hd2)
    chainloader +1
    }

menuentry "Reboot" {

reboot

}

You can also chain load to another MBR to boot that MBR. The issue is which ever drive you boot from will also be hd0, and at least with my system the remaining drives are in SATA port issue. But I skipped one SATA port and sometimes a flash drive becomes sdb or sde. If entries do not work then you have to experiment. Use e on grub menu and change hd1 to hd2 or whatever then works. Then you can change 40_custom to be correct. The blank menu entry is just a space which I sometimes need with lots of entries.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thank You for Your time and guidance. I have to think about copying contents from one file to another very carefully because it is very complicated for me, especially this part about chain boot. I don't understand it at all.

Beans
    Hidden!

Chain-loading basically means that GRUB won't boot the entry directly, but instead invoke another boot loader (Windows or LILO) and pass the control to them. It's the only option for Windows as GRUB cannot boot Windows on itself.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345