Thread: Editing .ini file with vim command - Some Queries

Beans

Editing .ini file with vim command - Some Queries

Hi there,

I am completely new to using Lubuntu (version 12.10 x86 alternative version). I am familiar with Windows interfaces but I see Linux is, in respect to installing/configuring programs, command based.

The instructions to change host from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0 (to allow remote access) is to run "sudo vim /etc/schooltool/standard/paste.ini" in the command terminal. Apart from getting messages saying vim was not a command, I managed to install the necessary program/files to make it so.

All good; I run the above command and get a box with the content of paste.ini. I press the Insert key to replace the host IP. But from thereon I have no clue how to save that. I see no save option under File (or any menus at the top of the window). When it comes to reopening the file with "sudo vim...." the host has retained what it was before: 127.0.0.1. This also occurs after restarting the schooltool service.

How do I enforce the changes I make to the host so that they stick?

Many thanks,
    Stevie
    Last edited by StevieTNZ; March 18th, 2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Added version details of Lubuntu

Beans

Re: Editing .ini file with vim command - Some Queries

- hit the ESC key (to get you out of insert mode)

- type : (colon - to get to the vim command line)

- type wq (write and quit)

... or you could just use nano, or since you presumably have the lubuntu desktop, use a graphical editor

Code:
    gksudo leafpad /etc/schooltool/standard/paste.ini

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Editing .ini file with vim command - Some Queries

If you want to use vim you'll have to learn it. Here is an excellent although somewhat verbose manual, the size of the manual reflecting the feature set of the program: ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/doc/book/vimbook-OPL.pdf

If that's to much for this moment, stick to the graphical editors like leafpad or gedit (if you need root permissions start from the command line with gksudo leafpad, gksudo gedit) or try nano (if you need root permissions sudo nano). Pay attention to the difference between sudo and gksudo. Use gksudo to start graphical programs: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/graphicalsudo