Thread: Playing DVD's in Totem without having PulseAudio installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Playing DVD's in Totem without having PulseAudio installed

Does anyone else have a problem playing DVD's in Totem without having PulseAudio installed? This worked fine in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but in 12.04 LTS, I get the error:

I have it to where I can turn PulseAudio on when I want to play a DVD, and off again when I'm finished, but I would rather not have to do this, and I don't really want to switch to VLC, which works perfectly without PulseAudio installed.
    Last edited by mdavis1231; August 10th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.
    Mark in Cincinnati
    "It's great to be free from *******...YIPPEE!!"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Playing DVD's in Totem without having PulseAudio installed

PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks so much for your response. I do already have both ubuntu-restricted-extras and gstreamer-tools 0.10.36-1ubuntu1 installed, so I am able to play DVD's in Totem. However, I have to turn on PulseAudio first. I have created shortcuts with icons for turning PulseAudio on and off in the Applications menu. However, I'm trying to figure out what it is that's stopping Totem from playing DVD's without PulseAudio turned on in 12.04 LTS, whereas in 10.04 LTS Totem didn't seem to need PulseAudio at all. Thanks!
    Mark in Cincinnati

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you rip out sections of your operating system, you kinda have to expect that it will cause breakage.

I can't get Totem to play encrypted DVDs, even with Pulseaudio on - I just use VLC. Sorry it's not a solution to the precise problem, but I think most would agree that you should just use VLC regardless of whether you have Pulseaudio or not.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm sort of coming to that conclusion. VLC plays DVD's just fine, even if I were to completely purge PulseAudio. It's unfortunate...I really like Totem. I'm not sure why Ubuntu seems to be going backward on some things with each release instead of going forward. The best Ubuntu that I've used so far has been 8.04 LTS. It just worked. Now it seems with each release/LTS release, you have to find tons of work-a-rounds. Thanks for the advice!
    Mark in Cincinnati

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis1231 View Post
    I'm not sure why Ubuntu seems to be going backward on some things with each release instead of going forward. The best Ubuntu that I've used so far has been 8.04 LTS. It just worked.
    You're welcome for the advice.

I think you're looking at 8.04 with rose-tinted spectacles. It was the first version of Ubuntu to ship with Pulseaudio, and it was so horrible pretty much everybody was forced to disable it. PA wasn't baked in, though.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've figured out how to use pavucontrol (after all these years) so it's no longer necessary for me to remove PulseAudio from my Ubuntu.
    Mark in Cincinnati