Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I burn music onto a DVD (Ubuntu 12.01)?

Beans

Unhappy How do I burn music onto a DVD (Ubuntu 12.01)?

Hello,

I'm struggling with making a simple audio DVD.

I've tried Amarok, Brasero, and K3b.

My problem with Amarok: no option to burn onto a CD/DVD

My problem with Brasero: it does not recognize mp3 files

My problem with K3b: it will not recognize my blank dvd

I just want to make an audio DVD and I would appreciate any help.
    I am open to use whatever program you think is best.
    I know enough to cut and paste things into the terminal...but not much else.

Beans

Re: How do I burn music onto a DVD (Ubuntu 12.01)?

ps. I know that this issue isn't new...I've found a lot of posts regarding amarok, k3b and brasero and what to do in this situation... my main problem is that I have trouble understanding the lingo pertaining to using the command prompt...etc...

I'd appreciate any help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Brasero uses the Gstreamer plugin for audio. If you don't have the mp3 plugin installed, you can install the Ubuntu restricted extras.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras

Beans

Hi rocketfish,

Thanks for the code, it installed 23 new things and I'm sure they will all be useful.

I am able to access all audio file types now, but I still can't burn onto a DVD.

Brasero encounters an error while burning, Amarok still doesn't give me the option to burn, and K3b won't recognize my DVD.

Just to make it easier, I'll focus on getting help for one program instead of all 3. So...how about K3b?

Here's a screenshot of me trying to burn a DVD with K3b: http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6dc91fa2.png

...K3b recognizes that there's a DVD in there, but it won't give me the option to burn onto it.

I know the ultimate solution would be to just use a damn CD, but I have a stack of DVDs that I'd like to get rid of...and I''ve been using them for years to burn music onto (via windows)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It appears that normal CD/DVD writing software does not create audio DVDs. Are you sure your player is compatible with audio DVDs?
    Check http://dvd-audio.sourceforge.net/ for possible solutions for you problem.

Jerry

Beans

Hello I was trying to burn a CD and looking to see if there was an answer. I am not sure if I should start a new thread or ad dto this one. If the former let me know.
    using Rythmbox which gave the option to burn a playlist and took me to Brasero. I am using Ubuntu 12,04 LTS. Idealy I'd like to copy MP3s from my hard disk on to a CD so I can play them in the car. It does not accept USBs.
    Ubuntu does not seem to know there is a CD/DVD drive unless there is a formatted disk in it. If I put an unformatted disk in it is not seen so I can't do anything with it.
    I tried to fool it by putting a music foratted disk in which it found. When I took it out the drive disappeard from the file manager.
    Do you know how to tell Ubuntu that there is a CD/DVD Drive (mount). then tell it to format it. I think for MP3s it has to be a data disk.
    Hopefully then Brasero will know it is there and let me burn to is.
    Hope this makes sense, and might al least identify the issue.
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

2 things to think about.

1. If you're trying to burn mp3s to a dvd, you do not want to be "creating an audio cd". to burn mp3s you need to be creating a "data DVD", where you can add folders or files. I have just tried it with Brasero & it works fine. The "audio cd" option is for creating a bog standard cd that can play on anything.

2. Go into k3b & check what programs/plugins are installed & see whats missing, then install them from synaptic/software centre. The only one I leave unticked is "Normalisation".

Hope this helps.

Beans

Hi Speartip Thanks for you reply. I agree that I need to create a data CD / DVD. I have not been able to find out how to create/format a CD or DVD to make it a data CD/DVD. Did you do this in Brasero? My system does not seem to know there is a CD/DVD device if there is not a fromatted CD or DVD in the drive. When I put a formatted CD/DVD in the drive it finde the drive. When I take it out and put a blank CD/DVD in it does not find the drive. So I've not found how I can format one. I am sure I am missing something simple. I attach a couple of screen dumps showing the drive the not showing it.
    Once I can format the CD DVD I can experiment a bit. I also downloaded Kb3. When start it it give the message. "No CD/DVD/BD writer found.
    K3b did not find an optical writing device in your system. Thus, you will not be able to burn CDs or DVDs. However, you can still use other K3b features such as audio track extraction, audio transcoding or ISO9660 image creation."
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I have just read the error message better and thought probably my device can't write!! I would have made the wrong assumption it could. I'll se if I can find a device that I know can write. I imagine your device can write. Does it show up in in the home folder when ther is a blank cd in it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

when you burn you choose the blank CD which is then formatted and data is burned on it. this could not be easier to do than with brasero: http://www.linux.com/news/software/a...nd-iso-burning

Here are the steps:

1. Insert a blank CD or DVD.
    2. Click the Data Project button.
    3. Add files to your project.
    4. Click the Burn button.
    why should a non formated disk show in the file manager? it doesn't have any files and it doens't have any file format.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast