Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Configuring & Enabling WWAN modems from the command line

Beans

Re: Configuring & Enabling WWAN modems from the command line

That is a sort of an unsurprising problem (which I understand) with an unexpected response.

I have been tinkering with the fish shell and one of my co-workers often uses zsh. However, I have simply installed them and haven't even changed the default away from bash. We just call them manually when we want to use them. Thinking about when things work and when they don't, I am unable to confirm if I have been running fish when they fail or if I am still in bash when they work. (I'm assuming their mere presence in the system isn't a big deal). I will have to test this theory to have a more reliable understanding.

I have the impression that Modem Manager is intended to be used, with a GUI, in combination with Network Manager. Also, I read somewhere that Network Manager was designed for use cases like laptops and wasn't really intended to be used in headless servers... although thinking about it, I guess there aren't many people trying to set up servers in locations out in the field with terrible internet service... so perhaps that advice doesn't really cover my use case.

Searching around, I have been unable to find a usable example of using Modem Manager from the command line... so I am beginning to suspect that "using Modem Manager" winds up meaning "using Network Manager in combination Modem Manager", is that the case? This evening I will try to install Network Manager & Modem Manager and do all of this in the "Network Manager"... but I am not sure if that is an appropriate long term solution (or even why it wouldn't be).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BhimaPandava View Post
    I have the impression that Modem Manager is intended to be used, with a GUI, in combination with Network Manager. Also, I read somewhere that Network Manager was designed for use cases like laptops and wasn't really intended to be used in headless servers... although thinking about it, I guess there aren't many people trying to set up servers in locations out in the field with terrible internet service... so perhaps that advice doesn't really cover my use case.
    Neither ModemManager nor NetworkManager require a GUI. They are dbus based daemons. The use cases definitely includes more than just laptops, but of course not complex routers or really advanced server setups. Should still fit most 3G/LTE modem use cases.

Searching around, I have been unable to find a usable example of using Modem Manager from the command line... so I am beginning to suspect that "using Modem Manager" winds up meaning "using Network Manager in combination Modem Manager", is that the case? This evening I will try to install Network Manager & Modem Manager and do all of this in the "Network Manager"... but I am not sure if that is an appropriate long term solution (or even why it wouldn't be).
    There are command line utilites for both (mmcli and nmcli).

If you don't want to go with this option, then maybe side looking at the even smaller embedded systems is an idea? There is quite a lot of work going on adding QMI support to OpenWRT at the moment. It looks very promising.

Beans

I am unable to find mmcli, it wasn't installed with either network-manager or modemmanager packages. I also can't really compile the whole modemmanger because it has all the GUI stuff... and trying to compile it sends me into a rabbit hole of missing dependancies.

Having now compiled the modem manager the resultant mmcli does not appear to understand the local dbus setup (as in it can't find it).

Also, I obtained a mini-PCIe to USB adapter and I am able to easily connect to the internet with this MC7710 from within a Ubuntu 13.04 desktop VM. However, I did have to go through a short wizard which obviously a desktop GUI applet thing. However, surely this created the correct configuration somewhere... no? If I could find them, could I use them in my headless server?
    Last edited by BhimaPandava; April 14th, 2013 at 09:51 AM.

Beans

Just an update my current confused status. After getting the modem working in an Ubuntu 13.04 Desktop VM, I have discovered that it only connected at the slowest protocol in "roaming" mode and after a few minutes will not connect at all anymore. Now, I am wondering if this is not due to oddball IMEI that Bjørn noted earlier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12