Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installation of 12.10 from liveCD onto clean HDD

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Installation of 12.10 from liveCD onto clean HDD

Pentium? I thought its AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    Click on NewDocs PopularPages -- Ubuntu Documentation Search Tool
    Earn extra beans, report SPAM. Use the "Report Post" button.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Pentium? I thought its AMD Athlon XP 2800+
    Processor is a Pentium 4 at 2.8 Ghz, my newer a1600n has an Athlon 64x2 but these older HPs were not all AMD.

Final status of the problem: Seems it can't be solved easily. Tried another HDD to see if the system would recognise it and it does. Both the CD and DVD drives are working fine since they each attempt to read the source disk when it is inserted. With either Ubuntu 12.10 on DVD or Lubuntu on CD, the error message is "invalid system disk" followed by "insert bootable disk and hit any key". This shows me that the BIOS boot order config is set properly.

Seems a shame that this perfectly fine older computer cannot be set up as a Ubuntu workstation. I will try either Red Hat or opensuse or something else to see if there is any difference. Guess I can always look for an older version of Win and go back to that....

Thanks to all who offered help! If I find a solution I'll post it. Best Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If I understand it right, you can't even get the 12.10 DVD to boot so that you can try to install. If you have installed it, but you get message about invalid system disk, it might be that you have no boot flag on any og the partitions. Ubuntu (Linux) doesn't use the boot flag so when you have ubuntu only system it often doesn't get set. But many boards expect to see a boot flag on the hdd since they are designed with windows in mind. You can easily sort this from live mode by opening Gparted and setting a boot flag on any primary partition, for example if your root partition is primary.

As for not booting from any ubuntu cd/dvd, first of all try downloading ISO files with torrent, it checks for corruption during download.
    Second, burn them at very low speed. For cd at max 8x or 10x. For dvd 2x or 4x. Never burn an OS install cd at the max speed of 56x etc. It can produce burn errors that won't be reported but prevent it to install the OS correctly.

If none of that works you can consider trying to boot with usb stick, if the machine supports it.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Darko- That's what is so frustrating, the DVD appears to have been downloaded just fine since I can run the demo on my other machine. I cannot get the older one to see the downloaded disk as a bootable source, in fact nothing I have downloaded will boot. Is it possible that the older DVD drive cannot read the source disk? This BIOS does not give the option of selecting a usb port as a boot option. I went back and created another DVD at the slowest speeds, etc., but can't really see the point since the first one seems fine. I'd like to upgrade the BIOS but can't seem to think of a way to do it without an operating system running. I guess this one may finally push me over the edge.....

Beans
    Distro

If it has a floppy drive, you should be able to update the BIOS with a floppy. The download section of the manufacturer might even include floppy images. Earlier I would always update a BIOS from a system floppy, never from inside windows. But even that might not help you.

I don't know if the machine can recognize external usb dvd drive. If you don't have one maybe you can borrow from a friend and give that a shot.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Distro

If the disk runs fine on a separate machine, then I venture to guess the issue is with the DVD drive itself.
    It's an unfortunate part of computers that mechanical parts fail.
    You could try switching in a newer or different DVD drive, if possible.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Just to tie the ribbons on this one, I still have not found the magic solution as to why the liveCD(DVD) is not seen as a bootable disk. I performed a perfectly normal installation on a Compaq Presario V5000 laptop using the same liveCD source, so it's not a corrupted disk. I'll eventually swap out some of the hardware and possibly the BIOS later.

Many thanks to those who gave this their attention. Bests Regards.

Beans

Thought I'd post a final time on this issue since I've found an answer, although not the one I was looking for.

As reported previously, my live DVD was used to do a normal install on a laptop. This satisfied me that the disk was good. I found an old WIN 98 disk and did a Windows installation on the target desktop machine, which satisfied me that the DVD drive worked fine (although there were the normal memory and processor issues with this newer machine). Tried both Ubuntu and Lubuntu again with no success. I downloaded a copy of Puppy Linux and did a normal installation. Everything looks good and the DVD drive is working fine. I'll continue to play with the system and will try to do a 12.10 installation again later.

Still have not run into anything that would explain the problem, and have not seen a similar complaint from anyone. I see no place to mark this as "solved", but may report other happenings if they are interesting enough! Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The 'solved' switch is broken, but I shall set it manually. Thanks for reporting back.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans

Hello again. Even though this has been marked "solved" due to running out of options and getting PuppyLinux to do a normal installation and run fine, I thought I'd post the latest situation just for archival purposes.

Tried different HDD, no change.
    Downloaded 12.04 and tried installing from both USB drive and DVD, both fail in the same way.
    Downloaded Gparted and tried to launch, no results.
    Put Win 98 in same DVD drive, did normal installation.
    Can snoop around on the Ubuntu DVD and see all the files using DOS commands but nothing will run.
    Took the DVD of 12.10 and installed on a Compaq V5000 notebook with no problems.

I have seen this (or very similarly described) problems mentioned in many other places, and every solution seems to be both different and not understood using any normal logic. I would partition the drive and install from the console if I could get Gparted to run.

Trying to think of a logical next step but running out of ideas......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast