Re: help found etc

i tried to
    create etc directory inside var directory
    it say permission denied

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you want to modify things in system directories use sudo: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

But read the previous replies. Why do you want to create an etc directory in your var directory? Only because you remember there used to be one? You don't need one and if there was one on a previous installation it was an error. It's best to not change anything outside your home directory, unless you know what you're doing. Making an /var/etc directory because you remember there used to be one on 11.04 is not reason enough. Systems change and there could be errors in your previous installation.

The only problem there was, was that your 11.04 had a directory it shouldn't have had.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    If you want to modify things in system directories use sudo: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

But read the previous replies. Why do you want to create an etc directory in your var directory? Only because you remember there used to be one? You don't need one and if there was one on a previous installation it was an error. It's best to not change anything outside your home directory, unless you know what you're doing. Making an /var/etc directory because you remember there used to be one on 11.04 is not reason enough. Systems change and there could be errors in your previous installation.

The only problem there was, was that your 11.04 had a directory it shouldn't have had.
    +1.
    Completely agree.

Beans

i have hp proliant 110 G5
    freinds ask me Why do i want to create an etc directory in my var directory?
    im using ubuntu for Cccam shairing with familly freinds ( football, movies...)
    and i really need /var/etc back, without it, i cant install cccam.cfg and it will not work
    if possible how to creat an etcdirectory in var directory.
    thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Well, if you're absolutely sure you want that directory then just create it with...
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /var/etc
    Cheesemill

Beans

thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12