Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# workaround for backlight issue

case "$1" in
        resume|thaw)
            setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00
            ;;
    esac

I've been at this all day but I cant figure out how to create a file and set it as executable when I type in the command " sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_fixbacklight ... it states " cannot access no such file exists..... I think I'm missing a step..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Adjust screen resolution Acer Aspire 5736z

I have the same exact intel gfx card...

why are you messing with the settings? or booting with parameters? everything works automatically without fiddling

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim717 View Post
    I've been at this all day but I cant figure out how to create a file and set it as executable when I type in the command " sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_fixbacklight ... it states " cannot access no such file exists..... I think I'm missing a step..
    The way I wrote it was a bit strange. Create the file with the contents shown. Then run: sudo chmod +x etc.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nomenkultur View Post
    I have the same exact intel gfx card...

why are you messing with the settings? or booting with parameters? everything works automatically without fiddling

As stated earlier in the post.... When I attempted to install Ubuntu on my lap top I continually got dark screens, thus I had to install using the nomodeset setting..... This is a common issue with the 4500 g card as noted in the links that I attached to this thread. Using nomodeset allows Ubuntu to use the default graphics driver which made is so I could only have the lowest screen resolution possible. The work in this thread has been to 1. Use my lintel graphics card so I can enjoy better screen res.... and two fix the back light issue and prevent dark screen..... What kind of computer are you using because this issues is more prevalent in ACER's from what I can tell

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Xx
    Last edited by nomenkultur; March 31st, 2013 at 02:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bcbc View Post
    Create a file called /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_fixbacklight and set it executable:

Code:
    sudo chmod +x /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_fixbacklight
    Contents of file:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# workaround for backlight issue

case "$1" in
        resume|thaw)
            setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00
            ;;
    esac

Ok finnally got this done...... and it worked to fix the issue of black screen when comming out of suspend mode...... However this only works when I manually put the computer into suspend mode..... When the computer goes to sleep by its self it gets the black screen and I have to manually put it into suspend mode then wake it back up to turn the back light back on...... This allows me not to loose my doc or what ever Im working on so it is very useful........

I still need some help with backlight issues when changing resolution also....

fyi when I installed the kernal updates my whole system went waky and none of the modifications worked anymore..... I had to re-install the OS from disk with the update and re-do all the modifications.....

BBHEEM

Beans

when installing todays updates 3/16/2013....... I am able to get my system back running but my back light is worse... Im gonna start a new thread because I think there was a kernal update and it did something to my grub.....(I say this because it asked me if I wanted to keep my modified grub or change it)......... so what I did was..... do a fresh reinstall from my old disk......using the nomodeset....... then I performed the updates.... then I took off the nomodeset .. to see if the updates fixed the problem.... (they did not fix the back light issue) but I am using the right graphic driver (4500) . I went ahead and added the setpci to the rc.local ..... and I created the 99_fixbacklight file and set it as excutable...... I have not changed the grub however...... at this point my back light doesn't come on after a reboot ...... but it does when comming out of suspend mode........

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nomenkultur View Post
    same model, everything worked here out of the box

but I have installed 13.04 a few months back with different intel drivers and then I have been auto updating

you have a 5736- 4460 ...... What do you mean a different set of intel drivers and did you install x86 or 64amd

cause Im having all sorts of issues and when I did the nightly update all the modifications that i made to get my back light working halfway normal went out the window.... and I cant get the back light to work after a reboot...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12