Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will kde run on mir at all?

Beans

Will kde run on mir at all?

I hate to link phoronix but - http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTMyMjM

So can we count kde out from when ubuntu uses Mir?

I don't really get much about what is going on. Seems canonical has just annoyed a lot of people over Mir, personally IDC what display server Ubuntu runs as long as it's open source and works well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Will kde run on mir at all?

One can only speculate because Mir is not much more than a list of wishes right now, but:

- KDE could be used with another Window Manager. This doesn't make much sense to me, but it is possible in theory.
    - Kwin could run on top of XMir, the X compatibility layer Mir would provide (Essentially XWayland renamed).
    - Kubuntu could use X or Wayland instead or Mir. For example Linux Mint devs have already announced that they don't plan to use Mir.

Seems canonical has just annoyed a lot of people over Mir
    Yes, not a good thing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

its a bit too early to know if or if not something be supported/ported on, as meanly everybody right now have his nerves broken. Let see what will happen in the coming weeks.
    http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...ces-of-ubuntu/

Moved to the Cafe.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

It is this kind of thing that we are here to test. Each of us may have his own choice of user interface but as testers we test. All the devs have to do is ask. And we can give answers from real life installations and the perspective of real life users.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

dont hurry, there is nothing to test right now

Beans

Well considering KDE does moist of its own thing anyway, I say this will not my decision to stick with KDE.

Beans

Well I use Cinnamon anyway and will probably switch to Linux Mint at some point in the future since i don't want or need Unity on my PC. Was just curious.

Beans

The KDE maintainer has said that he will veto any patches relating to supporting Mir for KDE. In order for KDE to run on Mir, Canonical and Ubuntu contributors will have to actively maintain a patch set for Ubuntu. However if another distribution besides Ubuntu decides to use Mir, then they will probably change their minds. Personally, I doubt that will happen.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    The KDE maintainer has said that he will veto any patches relating to supporting Mir for KDE. In order for KDE to run on Mir, Canonical and Ubuntu contributors will have to actively maintain a patch set for Ubuntu. However if another distribution besides Ubuntu decides to use Mir, then they will probably change their minds. Personally, I doubt that will happen.
    That's so pathetic and has just made my thoughts of KDE go down hill.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast